Wubi???

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by 19monty64, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Guys,
    Still using Ubuntu and need to log in as Root. Can't do it :mad: . Switch user...no dice. How do I log in as root before I tear all my hair out?

2. toxical2004

toxical2004 Registered Member

If i'm correct, root account has been disabled in (K)Ubuntu 'for security reasons', and they advise to use the 'sudo' command instead of it (of course, that's through terminal :D ). Though it can be enabled if you want it that way, but i can't remember how to reenable it right now, you can google it if you need to. I use Kubuntu Linux the usual way, without Wubi, and the only problem is that i can't find a way to make my Intel HD audio card work in 5.1 mode :ouch:
    Might as well try Wubi these days to see what it's all about..........
    Cheers!

3. Riverrun

Thanks for the reply, Toxical.

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I tried Wubi a couple of months ago but I had some sort of problem installing it.
    But tuday I decided to try it again in my Windows XP with LUA and FDISR.
    Installation went just fine.It found and configured the network (and everything) without asking questions. Works well with FDISR. After the FDISR window I come to the ubuntu bootloader where I can choose to start in ubuntu or windows. Nice:thumb:

I have tried ubuntu now and then in a vmware session but there was always some performance problem so it is nice to be able to do a dualboot instead.
    All I have to do now is to figure out why I only can chose 1024x768 as the highest screen resolution.

5. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    You can try to run this in a terminal:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Then you can choose your resolutions with the spacebar.(an asterisk before every choice)

Lamehand

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  6. sukarof

Thanks Lamehand, I´ll try that when I come home

7. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I keep getting "command not found".... what exactly do you type in for resolutiono_O

8. sukarof

Thanks again Lamehand. Worked just great!

Are you sure you spelled it right? I just took a copy and paste from Lamehands post into the terminal window. Did a restart of ubuntu ant then I had my chosen resoulution 1280*1024

9. Lamehand

It is easy to make a mistake with these commands, so copy/paste is a neat trick to avoid trouble. ;)

Lamehand

10. Riverrun

Gutsy Gibbon is coming out on the 18th. Will I be able to use Wubi to install it, I wonder?

11. Lamehand

The RC from Gutsy is out, it's not the final release but you could try it out, if you make an image of your current install,no harm can be done.

Lamehand

12. Riverrun

Ok Lamehand, I'll give it a bash. :)

13. sukarof

I decide to try Kubuntu via Wubi but that was a disaster for some reason. After installing and booted into kubuntu I decided to reboot. The shut down of kubuntu stopped but the drive was grinding on. After a couple of minutes I decided to turn off the computer. After that I wasnt able to boot into kubuntu again, it complained that it couldnt find the hard drive.

I uninstalled wubi and reinstalled Ubuntu and all was fine until I tried to install the desktop effects. It prompted me to install Nvidia accelerated graphic driver, and I did so. after the reboot Ubuntu couldnt find the graphic driver. So once again I uninstalled Wubi and reinstalled Ubuntu. This time I think I will let the desktop effects be :)

I have just made a migration from the wubi file to a (linux) partitioned drive to gain som performance.
    Described here

It wasnt all that easy since linux gives the drives some strange names like hda and drive size as only identification, that caused me som problems trying to figure out which one of my two identical 160GB Sata (labled D and F in windows) drives I was using for the ubuntu install.
    But after an hour of figuring out I finally managed to delete the right drive :)

*edit* Deleted something that was only my ignorance.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  14. Riverrun

Hi Sukarof. Wubi is working very well for me to the extent that I rarely boot Windoze at all these days. All my surfing is done in Ubuntu and though my knowledge of it is very basic, I'm learning all the time. I find it to be very stable, it hasn't crashed once and I'm kicking myself because I only allowed it 10 gbs at install; it's not enough. I plan to install Gutsy Gibbon next weekend or the weekend after (might wait until the fuss dies down and the Linux servers are relatively quiet).

Thanks for drawing LVPM to my attention. I may just try to partition and install Linux permanantly. It'll need a lot of study on my part though. I see there's a possibility of removing Windows permanently, the instructions are bundled up in that web-site and that's a tempting prospect for me. I have another laptop that I rarely use and I could do my Windows stuff on that.

Linux is harder to use but it's rewarding and now that I've switched, I'll be using it for the forseeable future.

Incidentally, I had no trouble with Gnome desktop end of things. I tried Beryl but am sticking to Gnome by preferance.

It's an interesting thing you've done and maybe I'll follow suit in awhile when I've prepared the ground, so to speak.

15. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I tried the PCLOS-partitioning, which worked great, but found flaws in PCLOS that made it unusable. But the custom-partitioning (swap, /home, /) helped me figure how to properly partition Windows (paging file, local disk, storage) and installed wubi-ubuntu (30G) for my daughters. With 30gig capacity, they don't even boot out of linux now, so I have XP all to myself for testing security-softwares. Desktop-effects are the only thing that don't work in ubuntu, they should work better in GutsyGibbon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.