WSA-FB version

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by CloneRanger, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Thanks to a kind member who provided a link :thumb: i've installed it. One of the fastest installs of any security App ever !

I chose to block svchost to see what would happen

wsa-svch.png

As you can see i'm still able to connect out, even though i thought doing so required the use of it. Why is this ?

XP/SP2

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

System connections are still allowed through - blocking svchost will break OS functionality.

3. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Plus the fact several instances of svchost can be running at any one time. I have 11 now, which include system, local service and network service.

4. CloneRanger

@ PrevxHelp

How if WSA says it blocks it ? Or maybe it doesn't really, in which case why not ?

I realise that, but i expected WSA to ONLY block it outbound, as selected. Does it not do ONLY that ?

@ TonyW

Hi yeah, please see above ;)

5. PrevxHelp

You're using the Block/Allow files dialog, not the network connections dialog. You're trying to block svchost.exe from running at all. (Also, you're navigating to C:\windows2\ instead of C:\windows\ - not sure if that is intended on your system but something which caught my eye)

6. CloneRanger

@ PrevxHelp

Thanks, yes you're quite right, i was on the other TAB :oops:

svchost now selected as Blocked on the network TAB, but i'm still able to surf ?

svc.png

Please understand that i'm just experimenting to see what works & doesn't ;)

Windows2 is a reinstall, & the original has been mostly deleted. Well spotted :D

7. PrevxHelp

Surfing will still work, you'll just have random aspects of the OS not work (like Windows Defender, certain parts of Windows update, and possibly some local networking services).

8. CloneRanger

@ PrevxHelp

It sure does, but for years we've been led to believe we need svchost.exe to do so ! I don't mean by you, but generally by Lots of others ?

Well that's OK as i don't use them :D

Thanks for enlightening us :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.