WSA does not encrypt passwords, or credit card numbers.

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by sturgess, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sturgess

sturgess Registered Member

I have one Windows machine remaining, my other two machines are Chromebooks. I have recently taken to using Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus + Malwarebytes Pro. as my only security, however today I realized WSA does not include the ability to encrypt usernames, passwords, or credit card numbers. This is only included in the Webroot SecureAnywhere Internet Security Plus, which costs £20 more and includes stuff I don't want or need. Be interested to know why the ability to encrypt was not moved over to the antivirus package with all the other good things.

2. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

You can get it here for £9 more than the AV version: http://www.webroot.co.uk/En_GB/sites/promo1.html
    Sorry if that doesn't answer your final question, but they did improve the AV version by adding Identity Shield, albeit without the encryption you mention.
    Maybe they really only need two versions: AV+Identity Shield and Complete.

3. sturgess

Thanks Dermot7 ;)

4. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

Since that feature is basically a Webroot-branded LastPass toolbar and integration, there will always be people who really don't want that (They already use LastPass for example, or they don't want a toolbar loaded into their browsers). So the AV-Only has a place.

5. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

That's correct, and it does result in a change in user flow which may be unwanted by users (their passwords are stored externally, and automatically filled, which could be confusing). The Identity Shield, on the other hand, works silently and transparently so we've included it in every version of the product.

6. sturgess

I'm confused, you talk of a LastPass toolbar and changes in user flow ? I'm talking about my credit card details not being encrypted when I go shopping ?

7. fax

fax Registered Member

This is done by the shopping website not WSA unless you use shopping website that do not encrypt (not a good website). :rolleyes:

8. sturgess

I need more than that to feel safe. Looks like I'll need to include Trusteer Rapport in my security set-up again.

9. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Trusteer doesn't encrypt passwords/credit card numbers. Both products (Identity Shield and Trusteer) prevent malware from stealing user data on the system using a myriad of methods. Lastpass is an additional layer which automatically fills in passwords and stores them encrypted so that you don't need to remember them.

10. sturgess

OK, thanks. I mistakenly believed that the missing security was part of the protection needed when banking/shopping on-line. I was wrong. Thanks for taking the time to explain matters, your help has been much appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.