WSA can't protect a browser using Sandboxie?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by justenough, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justenough

justenough Registered Member

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

WSA will block malware coming from a browser protected by Sandboxie (if something slips through) and it will protect the browser from identity stealing malware, but Sandboxie blocks too much of the communication for the Web Threat Shield to function fully.

We're working on a new design of the Web Threat Shield for the 2014 product but I suspect Sandboxie will block its communication as well (which is by design for a sandbox like this), although it *might* be easier to add an exception moving forward.

3. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I know that the identity shield works on a sandboxed browser. I've tried it in both firefox and chrome.
    When can we expect the 2014 beta?

4. PrevxHelp

It won't be until later in the year.

5. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Joe,
    Are you aware that Tzuk has now developed a new version 4.0 series (in beta) of Sandboxie that has been redesigned from the ground up. It is much more secure than the Version 3 line - but when I tried it with WSA the computer froze and black screened (so no dump for analysis) so it looks like Sandboxie may not be compatible with WSA again when v4 is final.
    However, I seem to remember you saying in answer to a query when WSA was first released that WSA would in due course have a built in Sandbox that the browser would run in as well as the 'testing' sandbox that we have at the moment.
    Is this still planned for a future version of WSA?

6. PrevxHelp

A full-blown sandbox like Sandboxie is far down the roadmap at this point. When Sandboxie 4.0 gets closer to a final release, I'll have our internal QA team take a look to see what changes might be necessary on our side.

Thanks!

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

That would be great PrevxHelp. A wsa sbie combo fully compatible would be steller.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.