WSA and EMET

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Senhor_F, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Senhor_F

    Senhor_F Registered Member

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2012
    Posts:
    54
    When I reinstalled WSA my computer was zippy. Slowly it started to have a noticeable impact on browsing mainly. I started looking around in the WSA settings, after having scanned with multiple other malware fighters and found nothing. And I noticed that distnoted.exe and emet_notifier.exe were added to the protected apps list under Identity and Privacy shield. I contacted support about this and was told that these items are added automatically, like in the firewall. Pretty much verbatim what was told me.

    This is frustrating and I'd like to know whats going on. My internet still seems erratic. Sometimes it will be fast and then after browsing a while I'll load some youtube and it will crawl and hang and buffering takes forever. I'm using chrome with about 5 extensions, which isn't very many.

    I'm using EMET 3.0, and I'd also like to know what I can set these settings under the protected apps tab to make these browsing issues go away. Can I set emet to allow? Deny? Whats going to give me the fast computing experience, I don't care as much about protection. As long as EMET is running and protecting other apps.
     
  2. PrevxHelp

    PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2008
    Posts:
    8,242
    Location:
    USA/UK
    EMET and the protected applications shouldn't affect browsing speed, but it would be worth uninstalling EMET temporarily to see if that corrects it. I would also be interested in seeing how IE performs versus Chrome - as Chrome pushes out updates very frequently it's possible that something isn't whitelisted yet, and a test with a different browser would help narrow down the origin of the slowdown.

    Let me know your results!
     
  3. Techfox1976

    Techfox1976 Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2010
    Posts:
    749
    Notably, YouTube videos are notoriously fickle. One video will work just fine, then the next will be in buffering hell. That's sadly a "feature" of YouTube.

    If the two items are NOT browsers and are set to "Protect", or if they are set to "Deny", you will likely want to set them to allow if you explicitly trust them to access your browser data.

    However if they're already on "Allow" like they should be and the only slowdown is YouTube, I'd say that's pretty normal for YouTube unfortunately. I get the same behavior on YouTube on a 105 Mbps test box with no AV and a pure clean windows install.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.