Write-cache policy on Shadow Defender

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Mr.X, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Reading here and there I stumbled upon an interesting and controversial setting which is now in my sight.

write-cache.png

As I'm always going after performance and SSD optimization to reduce wear, wonder if it's kind of safe to enable it or "Turn off Windows cache-write buffer flushing on device".

Some say it's not safe for various reasons, among others, a power surge or brownouts/blackouts can lead to drive corruption leading to Windows re-install, etc., others says it's fine for SSD users.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Mister X

I played with the write cache and honestly couldn't see the extra benefit. The power failure isn't a concern as my system have UPS backups, and I have a good 10 minutes warning.

3. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Thanks @Peter2150

Alright. No extra benefit on performance, granted. Still wondering about SSD wear. Guess I don't need that feature as Shadow Defender protects my system partition of any sort of corruption.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You know it's funny. Up until now, Velocity Micro has advised me to stick with HDD's because of all the back ups I do. But I think Mr Froggie put it in perspective. Since most quality SSD's now have a performance lifetime of almost 20yrs, even if what I do reduces it's life by 30%, do I really care. Good point.

5. guest

guest Guest

If write caching is enabled, the writing of data is "delayed":
    It may result in loss of data:
    If write caching is enabled, an UPS can help (power outage), but not in the case of a physical hardware failure or an OS crash.

6. guest

guest Guest

Yes, if Shadow Defender is running you don't really need to worry about file corruption.

7. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Thanks @mood

You're describing what that setting actually does. But how's related to my initial question?

Edit: Saw your reply right now! As I figured out.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  8. lucd

lucd Registered Member

not sure about write cache but I found some benefit with
    Add AHCI Link Power Management to Power Options
    and tweaking more around the power management options being wary of power saving, the

goal was to get SD to restore itself properly after sleep and I did, except for long sleep time. The faster the drive the better SD behaves with lesser corruption, pcie optane/nvme vs normal "wired" sata ssd and so forth, so I also limited I/O to achieve good state (debloat, carefully pick software, block some processes), backup to external is always the best option for data. For normal usage scenario like browsing, using office even playing some games this might not be the case as SD behaved well.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.