Write-cache policy on Shadow Defender

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Mister X, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Mister X

Mister X Registered Member

Reading here and there I stumbled upon an interesting and controversial setting which is now in my sight.

write-cache.png

As I'm always going after performance and SSD optimization to reduce wear, wonder if it's kind of safe to enable it or "Turn off Windows cache-write buffer flushing on device".

Some say it's not safe for various reasons, among others, a power surge or brownouts/blackouts can lead to drive corruption leading to Windows re-install, etc., others says it's fine for SSD users.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Mister X

I played with the write cache and honestly couldn't see the extra benefit. The power failure isn't a concern as my system have UPS backups, and I have a good 10 minutes warning.

3. Mister X

Thanks @Peter2150

Alright. No extra benefit on performance, granted. Still wondering about SSD wear. Guess I don't need that feature as Shadow Defender protects my system partition of any sort of corruption.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You know it's funny. Up until now, Velocity Micro has advised me to stick with HDD's because of all the back ups I do. But I think Mr Froggie put it in perspective. Since most quality SSD's now have a performance lifetime of almost 20yrs, even if what I do reduces it's life by 30%, do I really care. Good point.

5. mood

mood Updates Team

If write caching is enabled, the writing of data is "delayed":
    It may result in loss of data:
    If write caching is enabled, an UPS can help (power outage), but not in the case of a physical hardware failure or an OS crash.

6. mood

mood Updates Team

Yes, if Shadow Defender is running you don't really need to worry about file corruption.

7. Mister X

Thanks @mood

You're describing what that setting actually does. But how's related to my initial question?

Edit: Saw your reply right now! As I figured out.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017