WOW! what happend to Kaskersky AV personal pro?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Borel, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borel

Borel Guest

Everybody always complains that KAV personal pro uses to much memory and CPU power, well the newest version uses close to no CPU power and only 12MB ram. It feels superfast and doesn't lagg at all. Way to go Kaspersky Labs !! :D

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Here is what I have with KAV Pro 5.0.372:

Attached Files:

3. Borel

Borel Guest

Tough luck, but turn of the IDS and if you don't use a mailprogram turn off the mailfunction. You need to customize it for your needs and thats why the new interface and GUI helps alot.

4. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

I am running it with all the settings maxxed out, so I am not complaining. It still has very low resource usage.

5. Borel

Borel Guest

I used to have problems with CPU spikes with older versions but now it's calmed down and only goes up to 3-4 % when I start a software

6. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

do you guys have your iStreams turned off? mine is off. i only use iChecker...

7. FLaw()

FLaw() Guest

Sick0, because I use Fat32 I also only use IChecker

8. GoD

GoD Registered Member

9. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I was pleasently suprised when i tested the latest version of personal 5. I tried version 5 back in November 2004 and it slowed my machine down so much i couldnt use it. Now it seems like that problem has been fixed.

I say roll on Kaspersky 6. When does it come out by the way?

10. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

Wait till u check out the new KAV 2006!! Its SUPER light! And many new features too! Too bad it will be out only by year end! (Im testing the beta builds)

11. ugly

ugly Registered Member

5.0.372 it is not prsonal pro.It is simply presonal.
    If I am right the last pro is 5.0.20.

12. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

13. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

kan confirm that kav2006 is superlight. earlier i kept reverting to drweb bcos kav was slowing me down. now its almost the other way around, kav is equally light.
    the processes are:
    avp.exe 4,120k/4,256k vm
    avp.exe 1,740k/16,436k vm

14. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

oh! yeah! KAV2006 is really fast. and the longer you use it, the faster it gets because of iSwift technology...

there is also an option to scan only new and modified files, this will make you feel as if KAV wasn't there at all... ;)

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Is this new Iswift technology based on ADS. I can't use ADS or it screws up other programs.

16. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Concur. The new release is extremely light and potent. I just installed KAV Pro 5.0. I am using iChecker in real-time but turned it off for on-demand checking.

I have a small problem with the end-user installation interface. I think it is too easy to uncheck the "default installation" button, and get those darn ADS as well as the IDS that can conflict with a firewall. But assuming one knows that they have to do this (Don has an excellent post on the KAV forum which should really be on the first page of the installation program), then the version looks superb. It is so light on my system, it is virtually invisible. Giant AS (which I love to shut down) consumers more resources than KAV, Process Guard, and RegDefend combined (all of which are pretty silent). Ewido pops in there now and then, so really KAV, as far as its resource usage, has now become a non-issue.

These guys really have great technical prowess. What they are missing completely is the end-user usability (they still hide stuff away in all kinds of places in the interface). I hope they address this by hiring a real usability engineer because it continues to be difficult to recommend the product without qualification, since I know a user needs a few "hints" on how to install and use the product, since the interface continues to be lacking.

Rich

17. Don Pelotas

No, it's a development of iStreams with a centraldatabase, it should also work on FAT32 partitions. :)

18. Peter2150

I agree Kav as it is now is very light. Does the new version speed up repeated scans without ADS. I have to turn off ADS as it screws up my First Defense, and I won't give that up for anything.

Pete

19. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Peter,

iChecker is supposed to cut down on repeated scans by storing "scan information" in an internal database as opposed to ADS. I think that this technology is very similar to what will be used in KAV 6. I use it only for real-time scanning, since when I do an on-demand scan, I want every file to be checked - in the off chance that a file would deemed "clean" but really is infected, which can now be detected by "new signatures". But I think this is less relevent in real-time. I may turn off iChecker real-time just to see what the impact is. It may be neglible.

Rich

20. Peter2150

Hi Rich

I look forward to seeing Kav 6. My full scan takes over an hour. 400K plus items.

Pete

21. jlowell

jlowell Registered Member

New to it, I'm a little confused. I see references to Kaspersky Personal and Personal Pro but at the site, I see no reference to Pro for a first time buyer. I also see reference to version 6 beta but see nothing at the site concerning availability. I'm interested in this software and am considering buying it but can't make head or tail out of this versions business. Might someone offer me a little help with this confusion?

jlowell

22. Don Pelotas

Don't be confused, although it's understandable!

Since Kaspersky 6/2006 will come as one version, you should see this as the current Pro version in terms of options etc. It has always been Kaspersky licensepolicy to allow costumers upgrading to newer versions (4>5>6) with the Personal & Pro version within the licenseperiode, but since there will only be one version for homeusers (well, two if you count the suite version of it ;) ), it would be a better (moneywise) to buy the cheaper Personal now and make the upgrade when Kav 6 arrives as final release in 2-4 months.

You can go to the Kaspersky forum and download the pre-beta there (the betasection), but it is betasoftware and should not be used on a computer you depend on for your business etc. You can try it just to see if it's something you think you would like and then uninstall it again, i have used it extensively (all builds of it) and have had no big issue's with it so far, but sip through the betasection before deciding to install the 2006 beta.

If you decide to trial Kaspersky Personal or Pro for that matter (also in the trial-link) and like it,then here is a link to Kaspersky after the trial with 1 & 2 year deals for both Personal & Pro. :)

Oh, i almost forgot, i don't think they actively are selling Pro in the US anymore because of what i mentioned earlier (one version from Kav 6/2006 and on), thats probably why you can't see it. :D

23. gust

gust Guest

kasprsky need powerfull firewall

24. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

KAV's getting interesting :)

25. jlowell

jlowell Registered Member

Don Pelotas,

An enormously helpful reply! Thanks very much; I feel a little more confident now.

I've been running NAV as part of NSW here since 1998, on W95, 98, and, most recently, 2000 Pro. When definitions updates were up for renewal last Fall, they would not permit me to download without upgrading NSW 2001 to NSW 2005! Talk about extortion! I have a network of three workstations and a webserver here so I was faced with a fairly reasonable outlay. That, coupled with what is undeniably a quickly deteriorating support presence, did it for we with Symantec. Never again. I've located a very fine, free disk and registry cleaner in CCleaner to replace their One Button Cleanup; there are two disk optimizers I'm considering as replacements for Norton Speed Disk; Norton Disk Doctor in 2000 Pro offers me nothing that C:\> CHKDSK /R won't; Kaspersky Security Suite offers their superior anti-virus, a firewall and anti-spam protection, so I think Symantec has just lost a repeat customer whose been with them for 8 years. And it doesn't help that they've gotten so distant from their users in the last two or three years that they're virtually unreachable.

But enough kvetching from me. Thanks, again, for your fine help.

jlowell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.