wow reg entries let by macrium..

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by zfactor, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i uninstalled it today to reinstall shadowprotect. i just wanted to switch to test a few things. i then used jv16 to see what was left by macrium. WOW :eek:

1011 entries, and 1322 reg keys!!

shadow protect doesnt leave hardly any after you uninstall it. i was just very suprised is all. so for those who try it and remove it make sure to clean up your registry. also ccleaner did not find a lot of the ones linked to macrium that jv16 did.

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Yes...CCleaners registry tool is not very good...doesn't reach deep. A lot of people think it's good because they don't have a problem with it..but it really just barely sniffs your registry, doesn't roll up its sleeves and dig deep.

Granted on the flip side, some registry cleaners reach too deep and on your next reboot you could have problems.

But JV16 is very good, as well as Eusing Free.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

programs should clean up their own mess. I never use registry cleaners because they could delete the wrong entries.
    if a program does leave stuff behind complain to the company and ask them to write a better uninstall program.

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I totally agree with you there. And I'm not a fan of registry cleaners myself, I usually only turn to them for working on PCs which are old and are a mess. As part of a regular maintenance program on my own PCs and other healthy PCs..I don't use them. Because honestly IMO....the registry is sooo small, and the entries left behind are usually just "dead ends..they point to nowhere"..thus harmless. And cleaning those out of the registry is like removing a single grain of sand from a beach....doesn't really do much.

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ye it really gets on my nerves why the hell cant devs make their uninstallers just remove what they make, i dont see whats so difficult about it, ur program made it, so ur program shuld be able to also remove it, its quite simple...:mad: :mad:

6. Technic

Technic Registered Member

7. zfactor

macrium has NEVER gave me a single issue after sp has been uninstalled. i saw the faq on that and i have never once had to do that. all the things they wanted me to do for macrium were not there after removing sp.

8. Macrium

Macrium Registered Member

Hi Zfactor

Code:
    1011 entries, and 1322 reg keys!!
    Considering Macrium Reflect installs no COM components and uses 34 Keys in HKCU and 7 in HKLM that's a big difference. Now, let's assume that Windows installer adds 10 keys and doesn't do it's job of removing any at uninstall time; that's 1271 keys difference. That means that your registry cleaner is reporting 1271 bogus keys or has removed 1271 keys from other applications. Either way, I'd be a bit concerned.

Nick

Macrium Software

9. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Odd i got 121 Keys and 224 values, i actually installed this for the first time a few hours ago. Seems quite good, i've only mounted an image as a drive and browsed it so far.

Do you have any coupons Macrium for the paid version currently?

10. zfactor

tiger direct sells it for 33$ and then you can use bing for another 8% off making it right about 30$. i reinstalled it and once again used jv16 and saw the same number of keys. did you also install the windows pe component maybe thats the difference? not sure but thats a heck of a lot of leftovers from such a small program imo. i go back and forth between macrium and shadow protect. i tried o&o and really wanted to like it but i just cant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.