Wouldn't it be nice to have all your favorite live cd tools in one place?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by apathy, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I'm always being run down by friends about their jacked up computers, so for years I kept a case of CD with me everywhere I went.
    Geez that got old until I found a few tools that made things easy for me. Now I keep all my tools on my android phone and a spare
    on one via usb on a keychain.

Imagine having Backtrack, Ultimate Boot CD / Winxp live cd, Spin Rite, Clonezilla, Parted Magic, Hirens Boot CD, Systemrescue CD and much more all in one place?
    Here are few solutions that I use:

Multisystem(Linux):
    MultiSystem is a really easy tool made to run on Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based distros that you can use to play with various LiveCDs at once, or to create the ultimate recovery device. If you don’t use Ubuntu, you can use an Ubuntu Live CD to install MultiSystem so that you can create your super live USB drive without having to run Linux as your main OS.It’s best to download your ISOs ahead of time, and select a USB drive large enough to house them all. It is very easy to add and remove everything with a nice boot menu.

YUMI(Windows):
    YUMI (Your Universal Multiboot Installer), is the successor to MultibootISOs. It can be used to create a Multiboot USB Flash Drive containing multiple operating systems, antivirus utilities, disc cloning, diagnostic tools, and more. Contrary to MultiBootISO's which used grub to boot ISO files directly from USB, YUMI uses syslinux to boot extracted distributions stored on the USB device, and reverts to using grub to Boot Multiple ISO files from USB, if necessary. Aside from a few distributions, all files are stored within the Multiboot folder, making for a nicely organized Multiboot Drive that can still be used for other storage purposes. YUMI works much like Universal USB Installer, except it can be used to install more than one distribution to run from your USB. Distributions can also be uninstalled using the same tool!

DriveDroid(Android):
    You can find this one on Google Play or Amazon's store.DriveDroid allows you to boot your PC from ISO/IMG files stored on your phone. This is ideal for trying Linux distributions or always having a rescue-system on the go... without the need to burn CDs or USB pendrives.DriveDroid also includes a convenient download menu where you can select a popular distibution to download and use. How do you make this work?

• Connect your phone to your PC using an USB cable
    • Download an image file (.iso or .img) through DriveDroid or download them manually
    • Select the image file in DriveDroid to let your phone 'host' the file over USB
    • (Re)start your PC and make sure the correct boot priority is set in the bios
    • The image should now be booted on your PC
    Requirements

• Root
    • USB cable (from phone to PC)
    • USB Mass Storage-support should be enabled on your ROM (being able to mount SD card)

Remastersys(Linux):
    It is so nice to install a bunch of tools on a Linux box and create an exact clone of your perfect setup and slap it on a usb drive. I use this tool a lot and it's nice to keep your system on a portable platform!
    What is remastersys?

Remastersys is a tool that can be used to do 2 things with an existing Debian, Ubuntu or derivative installation.
    1. It can make a full system backup including personal data to a live cd or dvd that you can use anywhere and install.
    2. It can make a distributable copy you can share with friends. This will not have any of your personal user data in it.
    The resulting iso file can be used on any other PC that still meets the original minimum requirements of Ubuntu or Debian. Things like the graphics card and other hardware will be configured and setup automatically and you do not have to use identical hardware. Ubuntu's live boot tool, casper, currently blacklists Nvidia and AMD proprietary drivers so they will not be available on the live system and will need to be reinstalled after installation of your custom system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.