Would you want to use a PAID security program that advertised?

Discussion in 'polls' started by STV0726, Apr 27, 2012.

?

Would you want to use a PAID security program that displayed advertisements?

Poll closed May 27, 2012.
  1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  2. No

62 vote(s)
    95.4%
  1. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

Would you want to use a PAID security program that advertised in ANY way, shape, or form...

This includes but is not limited to:

* Storage upgrade promotions for backup and sync features
    * Promotions to upgrade to a higher tier of suite
    * 3rd party advertisements (Especially bad!)

Since we are specifically referring to PAID products here, I make NO distinction between "obtrusive" and "unobtrusive" advertisements.

No need to comment, just vote if you wish. Thank you.

My position if it isn't already obvious: Definitely NO! Advertisements in security program GUIs are a no-no for me as they have the potential to confuse non-tech savvy users into buying something they think they need but really do not, and then their computer administrator has to fix the issue and try and get a refund. :thumbd:

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I probably wouldn't use a paid security program regardless. If I did I wouldn't want ads.

I don't mind all ads though. When I used CIS there was a one time "Like us on Facebook!" popup. Wasn't a big deal. I could handle that once in a while.

3. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

Be sure to vote! This poll has the potential to influence *cough* a specific company right now *cough*.

4. Hungry Man

I don't know what their specific case is. I would care in some cases, not at all in others. How frequent are the ads?

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Regardless of the program's nature, if I pay for one, then I expect it to be clean from ads. I'm not paying to get crap in front of my eyes; otherwise, I'd just get something free and live with the ads. o_O

6. guest

guest Guest

Of course No.

If I'm paying, I don't want to see any kind of ads!

7. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

No, Matey, no ads for me.

Arggghh

8. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Bloody no! I thought that was the whole point of paying for security in the first place. :eek:

There have been precedents for this idea before though. I pay an annual TV licence to watch the BBC. I watch Freeview for free. Guess which one has ads? Oddly, RTE (Raidió Teilifís Éireann) radio is state funded not unlike the BBC, yet they run adverts.

I suppose that if there were multiple versions of a security program from a company with a cheaper (budget?) version, supported by advertising it may work. I honestly think that the people who buy security programs wouldn't like any advertising though. One of the reasons I uninstalled SUPERAntiSpyware was that I got an upgrade nag-screen. I wouldn't have minded so much but I was using a word processor at the time & SAS was just on-demand & not open. At first I thought it was an update or malware.

9. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I don't care if the app is paid or free. I have no use for ads. A few of my friends are using AntiVir free version, mainly because they can't afford anything paid. On more than a few occasions, they've misread the notifier ads and thought their AV was expired.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Definitely no ads in a paid app. I don't even use free programs with ads... So no way....

11. TigerRaptorFX

TigerRaptorFX Registered Member

Absolutely not. I'll pay for a security product if I think the software worth it.

12. Securit

Securit Registered Member

I won't use any software that displays ads, whether it is paid or not.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I still have not voted but personally i don't have any problem with a paid solution having ads as long as it is ONCE in a while, let's say once a week but if it's everyday then screw it. :D

14. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

15. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Hmmm ... it appears to me that this is a bit of 'a storm in a teacup' as someone claimed in your link. I'd almost hesitate to call that actual advertising. I could probably live with something like that. Of course, if it switched to commercials trying to sell me instant coffee or a Renault drophead coupe, that would be different!

16. STONEMAN

STONEMAN Registered Member

No,If I had payed for something then they would of had there money
    from me already, NO ADDS PLEASE! :D

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I would be at the same side as Daveski, those ads doesn't really look intrusive or annoying, they are built in the interface and are not random things just offers to upgrade your service which is not bad and it's built into the GUI pretty well to be less annoying . . . so it would not be a problem for me. :rolleyes:

BTW, I VOTED NO ACCIDENTALLY, IT WAS YES . . . xD

18. Hungry Man

I don't see this as a big deal. Especially if it's rare.

Advertising pretty much drives everything these days. TV/ the internet itself are paid for mostly with advertising. If the ads aren't intrusive/ invasive... what's the big deal?

19. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Unless its a add from the paid products giving me a free additional year for free for being a valued cutsomer,otherwise then no.

20. shakethebabyass

shakethebabyass Registered Member

If I pay for a security program (and I do, Norton) No! No ads! That would make me no longer renew my subscription.

Free programs, of course if they are going to have ads I could understand that if they provide you with good protection for free they deserve a little profit.

21. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

lol...:thumb:

22. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

No! I dislike ads. I don't want ads in free stuff, much less a program I paid for. There is a name for this sort of program, it call adware.

23. carat

carat Guest

I second that! :doubt:

24. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

No, can always sign up to email newsletters for promotions.

25. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Not only no, hell no. I'd drop the program like a bad habit.
    I don't need/want ads from a security program.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.