Would you buy a combined FDISR and image backup program if given the chance?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by zoril, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hi there:)

I would love the makers of FDISR to consider combining this excellent software program with a new backup disk imaging one sometime in the future.

If they ever do I will certainly be a purchaser and am prepared to pay the difference to switch from my current disk imaging program to do so...

From reading the many posts here the majority seem to have a disk imaging program that runs alongside FDISR. The two definitely compliment each other, both fullfilling essential yet differing functions.

How do you all feel about such a suggestion?

Howard:)

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It depends. Shadow Protect to me is tough to beat.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah i wouldn't mind having image capabilities within fd-isr. However it would have to surpass trueimage for me to consider it.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I use FDISR as a second backup of my system partition [C:], doing a copy/update from each snapshot to its archive which takes seconds or a few minuts, since my system partition hardly changes.

But I still need ShadowProtect to restore my system partition in 2 situations :
    1. when FDISR is corrupted.
    2. when my harddisk crashes.
    Both situations are very rare of course.

I use ShadowProtect alot more to test softwares, which I don't like to combine with FDISR. So I backup and restore regularly two different images : my test images and my actual system image.
    I prepared my new installation also this way, because I didn't have time enough to do it in one day.

Combining Image Backup with Immediate System Recovery isn't really necessary for me, because they have a different purpose. But I won't say "no" if both have the same quality and faster than ShadowProtect.

RollbackRx is trying to do this, but RBRx is still not good enough IMO and testing such a software takes quite alot of time, just like FDISR. The trial period is also too short, which means I would have to buy it before the testing is finished.

5. screamer

screamer Registered Member

see above:

...screamer

6. zoril

zoril Registered Member

From reading the many posts in this forum Shadow Protect has very good user reviews. My worry has always been compatability issues eg FDISR and Shadow Protect both using VSS etc. If the makers of FDISR created an imaging addition I should think that this would never be an issue.

Currently I use ATI version 8 for imaging, but it will need to be changed when I upgrade to Vista. Later ATI versions have many extra features that I dont need, so I will be looking for an alternative.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  7. Peter2150

Hi Howard

No worries. Shadowprotect is completely compatible with FDISR. I use both with VSS and have no problems.

Pete

8. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I think I'll just wait for DeepFreeze 8 which will have an imaging capability which works with RAID, snapshots and of course a freeze option which can be turned on and off on the fly - all for $49.99 or less if you buy the competitive upgrade from Shadowprotect :cautious:

9. zoril

zoril Registered Member

That is good to know Peter:)

I will definitely consider Shadow Protect when I update. The way I would use Shadow Protect if I get it will be very similar to what Erik mentioned above.

Erik are backups faster with SP then with ATI? - not that the time factor is a major issue. Clearly reliability is the most important thing re images.

Longview - I may well look at DeepFreeze as a second alternative option it is a program that I have never tried out yet.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I for one DEFINITELY!!! favor such a completely new concept, "BUT" under one condition and one condition only, that Leapfrog ALSO impliment their own Imaging Processing Driver as an alternative to VSS by $M.

That's what i have in Paragon, and i ONLY use Paragon's HOT PROCESSING when doing images from inside active Windows. And i can say with great confidence that THEIR driver is not yet failed one iota, whereas VSS has for me. I just can't trust it, it's $M. :gack: And they already given me plenty of Panic Attacks in the past.

11. Peter2150

I don't think you are going to see that happen. Everyone is going toward VSS just as all the defraggers use the microsoft defrag API.

12. ErikAlbert

ATI's Linux CD was very slow, but I don't remember exact times.
    SP is at least 3 times faster than ATI and very reliable.

Lately, I do many backups and restores of several different images, one after another and SP never failed until now.
    I re-installed my system partition completely during several days, when I had the time. When my time was up, I did a backup of what I had already and restored my old system. The next day, I restored my new image and continued until it was finished.
    When I needed a FDISR-archive of that image, I installed FDISR temporarily with only one snapshot and did a copy/update from snapshot to archive.

I also have a clean image of an activated Windows only and that image allows me to install Windows from scratch in 1 minut. This takes normally at least 60 minuts manually.

ShadowProtect + FirstDefense-ISR = total recovery solution and probably the fastest you can get.

13. Peter2150

14. ErikAlbert

No SP never failed as long I have it. I re-installed my computer for other reasons.
    1. To re-install my computer from scratch in less than 1 minut with an activated Windows (WPA + WGA).
    2. To get my clean images of my off-line and on-line snapshot, which I didn't really have in the past (main reason of re-installation). You can only create clean images when you re-install your computer from scratch.
    3. Creating a FDISR-archive of each image, which is the easy part.

I also re-installed my computer differently this time :
    1. I restored an Image with a complete Windows + FDISR first.
    2. Then I restored an archive of my off-line snapshot.
    3. Then I restored an archive of my on-line snapshot.
    After that I had my complete and clean system partition and I took an image for restoration only from that too. In case I want my clean computer back, when FDISR fails, I only have to restore that image.
    I can also use these images to test softwares without FDISR.

I certainly did not re-install my computer, because I was in trouble. In theory this cannot happen, not with SP and FDISR on board. :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  15. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I bide the day,hopefully in my lifetime that every inbuild moving part becomes solid state,at least the harddisk.Recently there is much development in this area but the resulting disks are small and extremely expensive to build.I can't remember where i read this,but its in his early stages of development so we have to wait some time before it becomes publicly available.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  16. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I still prefer stand alones rather than multi purpose apps. for obvious reasons. But I always say, never say never.

18. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.