Would this AVIRA setup work?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Stijnson, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

Router (with firewall on)+AVIRA+ZAP7.xx

On-demand:
    SAS Free
    Prevx CSI
    (thinking about adding BoClean, but not sure yet. Perhaps someone can tell if this would work with the above config?)

2. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

NO! your computer will be a little slower than a snail if you do this.

3. dNor

dNor Registered Member

Avira Antivir Classic or Premium?

BOClean might be a bit overkill if it's Premium so I'd leave it off. Otherwise it'd be a fine set up.

4. Stijnson

OK :). What would your suggestion be?

5. Stijnson

I guess the Premium. I don't know what the Classic version is...

6. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi, Premium is the paid version while Classic is the free. If you open Avira, it should say which version it is at the top.

7. Stijnson

I haven't installed Avira yet. I'm thinking of trying it out though. How is the program (both Classic and Premium) on system resources? Although I'm behind a router firewall I'm still looking for a software firewall to complement things.
    Comodo (2.4 or 3.0, it's hard to decide - I only wish for some outbound control), ZAP..?

8. innerpeace

Both versions of Avira are light. Here is a comparison of the personal editions features. http://www.avira.com/en/products/personal.html There is an offer posted here that provides a 90-day free trial of Avira PE premium.

I've only used Comodo 2.4 and not the newest 3.0. There are both light, but the 3.0 may get complicated with it's HIPS. Check out the firewall forum here at Wilder's to find plenty of information. You may also want to consider Online Armor's free firewall/HIPS. I'm using the paid version and it's been very light, stable and support is good. All of them do well on the leak tests if your into that. I haven't used ZA so I can't comment on it.

9. Stijnson

Do you think Comodo 2.4 should suffice in my setup? I don't surf much and I download from usenet (movies only).
    Currently I use NOD 2.7, SAS Free (on-demand), occasional on-line scan, Prevx CSI, Ad-Aware 1.06 (don't like the 2007 version much), DrWeb CureIt (on-demand), hardware firewall/WinXP firewall.

10. innerpeace

I'm far from a firewall expert, but Comodo 2.4 should handle outbounds very well according to leaktests.

IMO, If Ad-Aware is the free on demand version, I would dump it in favor of another free on-demand scanner. A-squared free is pretty decent. You may not even need either program.

11. Stijnson

No, I use the Ad-Aware 1.06 Plus version (paid) and SAS Free.
    Did you find Comodo 2.4 to be much of a hassle and did it slow your system down, being behind a router and all?

I just opened the install setup screen for Avira (Classic). Since I already am running a resident AV at the moment do I need to disable the Guard module?

12. innerpeace

It's been a while, but did experience a few little bugs with Comodo 2.4. They weren't bad and I wish they would have fixed them before starting on CPF 3. Check in the firewall forum in some of the Comodo threads and see what is being suggested to beginners.

Yes, if you only want Avira for on-demand scans, don't install the guard. If you want to be able to right-click and scan things with the context menu, make sure it's checked. The context menu scanning may come in handy as I couldn't find a way to do a custom scan of just files or folders in the free version. The option was there, but it wouldn't expand.

Edit: Oops, I see you have already installed Avira.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.