Would Returnil free be ok for....

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by javahole, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javahole

javahole Registered Member

I'm simply looking for a free software of this type that would suit the following needs ;

1) Allow me to start the program quickly so i can load numerous web based Java loaded (oracle) stock charts whilst knowing that any nasties would be erased after my session.

2) Allow others to download and play online games, and surf without any concern looking over their shoulder, with the knowledge that all the possible gunk and leftovers will be wiped after a reboot.

3) If i need to download a program that needs a reboot then i'll just close Returnil, so 1 and 2 are only important to me.

I guess i'll also still need some decent protection against spyware, keyloggers that could phone home whilst in Returnil ? But hopefully my Comodo CIS would cover that.

So if it can do all of the above i'm sorted...assuming Returnil makes a returnil.

Cheers

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

The free version of Returnil System Safe meets your virtualization requirements but something to consider is that it comes with its own anti-virus. There isn't an option to install RSS without the anti-virus, but you can disable the real-time anti-virus protection post installation. Returnil have another product: Returnil Virtual System for people who just want virtualization without the anti-virus but RVS is paid only; there isn't a free version.

For an alternative free light virtualization program, you could also consider ToolWiz Time Freeze: http://www.toolwiz.com/products/toolwiz-time-freeze/

3. javahole

javahole Registered Member

pegr,

Yeah, i was thinking what the chances are of the RSS anti virus conflicting with Comodos CIS AV ?

I've been meaning to check out toolwiz , but couldnt quite remember the name.

Cheers

4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

If you decide to go with RSS, it would be a good idea to disable the real-time protection in one of the AVs. It's not usually a good idea to run more than one AV in real-time, except where an AV has been intentionally designed to be able to run alongside another without conflict. AFAIK that's not the case with either Returnil or Comodo, so it would be safer to disable one of them.

Definitely worth checking out ToolWiz Time Freeze as well though.

If you are using imaging software, I would also suggest making a backup before you start, just in case you run into problems.

Kind regards

5. ichito

ichito Registered Member

One should remeber that Anti-execute module is connected with AV module so disabling AV disable also anti-exe. Because at this time Returnil have suspended own page and signatures are not actualised by network is reasonable to install some other HIPS/monitor/BB app that can be independent of Returnil's AV.

6. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi guys,
    Some clarifications:

pegr said:
    The Virus Guard in RSS IS designed to work with other AVs. There are some situations where there might be interference in some way caused by another AV installed with RSS at the same time, but this is centered most commonly on the use of sandboxing and order of install (EX: AVAST! AV).

Also note that the "interference" manifests at install or after restart where the core service in RSS might be blocked by the sandboxing which is why order of install where RSS is installed first should clear up the interference...

ichito said this:
    No, this is incorrect as the Anti-Execute (Virtual Mode > Settings > Additional protection options) is associated with the Virtual Mode and only activates per the settings chosen by the user or default when the Virtual Mode protection is active. The status, activation, or deactivation of the Virus Guard has no bearing on whether the A_E functions or not...

ichito then said this:
    To be clear, we have not suspended our websites. This issue is part of an on-going problem with our hosting company and the growth in popularity of our solutions which have increased traffic to the site to a level our host believes is "excessive". We are working as quickly as possible to find a solution for this and to get our sites back on-line as quickly as possible.

The update and product registration/remote management servers however are not effected but there is an issue we are investigating at the moment related to Virus Guard component signature updates. As soon as I get the word on the root cause and resolution for this specific problem, I will let you know the details.

Mike

7. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Thanks for the confirmation, Mike - that's why I said AFAIK because I wasn't sure. :)

What would happen though if Virus Guard and the other AV both make a detection? Has Virus Guard been programmed to stay out of the way to give the other AV the first chance to deal with the malware - similar to the way Webroot Secure Anywhere works? If not, I can't see how interference would be avoided if they both attempted to access a file at the same time, or am I missing something here?

8. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

There isn't an issue as the one that detects the content will act on it and the other will not see the malicious content as it had been locked and then quarantined. IOWs, both AVs are not going to detect the same thing at the same time.

The real time monitor part of the VG in RSS is focused on new content incoming, created, or connecting (USB for example) while the monitors of the average alternate AV are focused on deeper monitoring at this level. It is part of why traditional AVs are resource hogs in most cases. Think of the difference like two security guards in a building with one on foot patrol and the other manning the CCTV station. The one doing the foot patrol takes a longer look at the places he is patrolling, but can only see that thing he is looking at at that moment while the VG in RSS is watching the monitors and can react to something new faster than the patrol guard.

But with this said, also note that RSS is also relying on the Virtual Mode to cover its back in case it misses something while quick scanning the monitors. This also extends to the backup provided by the other AV that may or may not see something first (more eyes in different places...)

Mike

9. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Thanks for the additional clarification, Mike. :)

Kind regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.