Would like to give it a try, but...

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by crockett, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi everybody :)

After years of experiencing with ZA, KerioPF and OutPost, I'd like to continue my tour and discovery by giving LnS a serious try, but a couple of things I'm not sure of...

I believe the free version gives the user total protection against external unwanted connections, while the registered version does against external AND internal ones, am I right ?!

To see the free version succeeding against pcflank's tests (www.pcflank.com), does it need to be specifically configured or is LnSFree ready-to-use from scratch ?

Thanks...

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

2. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

The lite version offers "Internet Filtering" (inbound protection), but not the "Application Filtering" (outbound protection).

I have never used the lite version but how secure it is "out of the box," and how it handles firewall test sites (like pcflank) will depend mostly on the ruleset you are using. The standard ruleset is ok but if it is possible (with the lite version) you should try to use the enhanced ruleset. If it is not available you may have to try to create some of the rules yourself http://www.wilderssecurity.info/pg17.shtml . The enhanced ruleset will offer you much greater protection, and should allow you to pass pcflank's tests (if there are not any other issues regarding the setup of your computer/network/isp). Another nice thing about the enhanced ruleset is that it does not need any manual configuration once you have it set up and loaded. Once you are more familiar with how the rules work in LnS, you may also want to look into Phant0m's rule-set. It is very well thought out, and only needs some minor configurations to get it running.

3. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi Rerun2 :)

Thanks for the answer...

I'll try and see if I can get my hands on the enhanced ruleset. Out-of-the-box doesn't succeed against pcflank's basic 'Quick Test'- at least, not on my OS (W98SE Lite).

Otherwise I'll give the manual ruleset you gave me the link to a try.

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

4. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

hey crocket you may be able to use the link here from phantom regarding importing advanced rule to Lite
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=10803

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.