would it be wise to install a 2nd os on a seperate partition?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by chrome_sturmen, Nov 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

i am using isr on my c: partition, and was wondering, if it might be smart to make a small partition and install a secondary operating system on it, in case i ever needed to boot to it and check my c: partition for file system errors, do a virus check, or perform some other sort of maintenance to it. back when i used to have 2 operating systems, i sometimes found this ability useful, and though isr acts as different operating systems/partitions, obviously this isnt really the case, its still the same partition.

if i did decide to do it, could i use rollback rx on that 2nd os, or would it conflict with first defense? thanks for input

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

A second system partition would not conflict with FD-ISR. You need to update the boot.ini in all your snapshots and archives.
    Or keep a XP bootable floppy at hand.
    FD-ISR and Rollback RX will have a conflict over the MBR. Although I imagine it working well:
    Install Rollback RX in the second partition, boot to the first partition.
    Enable preboot in FD-USR, the RB RX MBR will be saved.
    Or probably easier: keep a XP bootable floppy at hand to select the second partition to boot to.

Whenever you feel like booting into the second partition, simply disable preboot in FD-ISR and the MBR with RB RX code will be restored.
    Or boot from the XP bootable floppy.
    I have seen this scenario working in a different context.

Hmm, a bootable floppy would not enable RB RX... That was not a working suggestion for RB RX.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.