Would It Be Possible To Do This?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by digmor crusher, Aug 26, 2021.

1. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Make a dedicated thread for posts for news items, links from other websites, links from magazines, newspapers etc? The reason I'm asking is that lately it seems like 50% of posts on here are those types anyways. These are stories we can find from other sites if we chose to do so. I read here daily, not to read any of these type of posts but to read member opinions regarding software programs, tips and help for programs, posts from developers etc. Used to be my daily visit here would take 20 minutes +, now it seems like 5 minutes and I'm done. I may be off base here, maybe members enjoy these news item posts, I don't. I might read 1 out of 50. Thanks.

2. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I like this idea very much. Thanks for this great suggestion, @digmor crusher :thumb:

3. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I like the idea too!

Besides, I use to click on New Posts every time I come back to the forums, maybe more than 15 times per day.
    I'd love to see a way to disable those news links, news threads, etc. showing up which distract my attention every time I click New Posts.
    Like @digmor crusher , I just come to read threads and posts about user's comments on software.

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

One possibility is to use Watch Thread option on threads you want to follow and then use Watched Thread instead of New posts option. This way you will see only new posts on threads that you watch.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Same here :thumb: You can imagine such news and follow ups are useful to a point and most can see software and products issues as well as new releases might take more precedence

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I like the idea as well. :thumb:

7. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I like the idea too.

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I'm guessing you are using the Recent Posts feature? I must say that I haven't got a problem with all of these news items, in fact I think it's kinda handy. And besides, WSF members aren't as active as they used to be, so this forum would feel a lot less lively without these posts, that's my point of view.

9. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I'm not interested these forums to feel less lively, I want them to be less distracting.

10. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

11. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Thank you @digmor crusher, I also support this idea. :thumb:

12. Rasheed187

I still don't get it, then how should this work? So if you go to Recent Posts, will you still be able to see all of these posts related to IT security? Because like I said, I think it's very useful, instead of having to visit all of these sites individually. I believe Mood is doing a great job. And I still get to follow all of the discussions between members, so I don't see the problem. Besides, there aren't a lot of discussions going on in the first place, WSF isn't as lively as in the past.

13. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

You're right but how about a setting which gives you an option to include/exclude a dedicated forum/thread for news when you click on New Posts. Sounds doable for me.

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I always tap RECENT POST first time every time I visit. Think I've gotten over those flood of news articles because eventually they taper off then the Real Fun begins. Informative experiences by membership on software and discussions on our favorite programs be they Security or Other. :)

15. Rasheed187

This might indeed be a good option.

Same over here, I actually like to read the news items and I have no trouble finding other threads related to security software.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.