Would i need a network adapter card????

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bounty69sx, Jun 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bounty69sx

bounty69sx Registered Member

I got my desktop just four months ago and i have a dsl connection on it...I am shopping around for a router right now mainly for its firewall...my question is do i need to buy a network card adaptero_O

I saw in diff. sites that the card is one of the must have accessories other than the ethernet cable. Do I really need a card for my comp? I have an inkling that I really don't 'coz I already have an ethernet port where my dsl modem is connected.

Am I also right in assuming that the router would also connect to the same port that my modem is using right nowo_O

I know this are simple o_O but for a newbie like me it's a different thing. Thanks again.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Only thing you would need is another cable and that may come with a router these days. You plug the cable from your computer into the router, run a cable from your router to your modem.
    In other words, everything coming in to your computer goes through the router first.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If you are going to use it on a stand alone computer and you already have a NIC plug you don't need a network card

bigc

ronjor you beat me to it. :D

4. bounty69sx

bounty69sx Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I can now get back to shopping for my router and the cable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.