Would DD10 be better than Partition Magic8

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by falena23, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. falena23

falena23 Registered Member

I have a new HP Compaq laptop
    I have tried and failed to create unallocated space on the C drive
    (it has a C drive and a 10 Gig logical E drive with the operating system) using Partition Magic 8.
    I prepared with a defrag and ran Chkdsk /f. I disabled indexing and the antivirus (although of course because it is the C drive it only kicks in at reboot so they won't be working anyway)
    I continually get error message 1517 - missing file attribute
    This error is not in the manual but is on the website - that and other google searches indicate that you keep running chkdsk /f "3 or 4 or more " times
    Well I've done that 5 times the last 4 clean and I still get the 1517 error.

What is the likelihood that if I buy DD10 that I will succeed in this situation where PM8 has failed? Any other suggestions welcome.

2. Jontyrp

Jontyrp Registered Member

Hello, You don't say what OS your Compaq Laptop has installed. This is significant as there are definite compatibility issues with PM8 and Vista. PM8 cannot work with NTFS partitions formatted by Vista. I found this out when I upgraded my system when Vista was first released. I switched to DD10 at that point for that very reason. I had been a very happy PM user right from PM3 onwards, so was dissapointed when it failed to be compatible with Vista. Sadly Symantec haven't updated it at all, in the last two years so yes it's still not compatible with Vista formated NTFS partitions. Such a long period without any updates makes me believe that PM8 has become and orphaned product and that Symantec have no interest in continuing it's development. So YES I would suggest switching to DD10, whether your system has Vista installed or not, as I sure the guys at Acronis aren't about to abandon DD10 any time soon. HTH, Jonathan.

3. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

Well I do hope you are right about that, as the last build was in March 2007 and it can't handle the current partition layout in a number of Linux distributions. Acronis have said they will address this, but we shall see ........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.