WOT rings everywhere?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by vasa1, Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I use the WOT extension with Chrome.

If I do a search in Google, WOT rings appear next to each result.

Even when I view mail in Yahoo! links in the mail body often have WOT rings next to them.

But...

I don't see WOT rings next to links in Google News or, for that matter, in many other places. I come to know of the WOT status after I click on the link when the WOT logo in the menu bar changes colour.

Do others have the same experience or is it something I'm doing or not doing?

2. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

WOT is a good system and only tries to help.

I would not be without it. Just information really, I take it for what it is and use my own judgement. Cannot be fairer than that. They are only trying to guide the naive from stepping on a mine. The more experienced simply regard it as a piece of arbitrary information.

John B

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Dear John,

I always wanted to start a letter that way!

I'm not questioning the utility of WOT, I just want to know why I see them (the rings) some places and not others.

4. John Bull

Howdy,

My impression is that WOT has not graded ALL sites, either by their own methods or through users input, there are gaps. Unlike AVG where they carry out a massive classification and have no customers input.

John B

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

As John said, it's because for whatever reason, neither WOT or its users have graded the website. No ring at all is quite rare, in my opinion. Most ungraded websites at least have an uncolored ring. WOT is a nice tool, but, unfortunately, like most of these other tools, it relies too heavily on user input. I've run into more "red" websites that were graded that way simply due to spam emails or content rather than actual danger.

6. John Bull

Hi again,

When I had a few queries on WOT, I mailed Sami Tolvanen on <support@mywot.com>
    The reply was very prompt and explicit.

John B

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thanks! Will do.

Meanwhile do a search on Google for octopus. Virtually each result will have a ring.
    Next, the among the top few hits will be a link to wikipedia. Click on that and then go to the bottom of the page relating to external links. Here again, virtually every link has a ring.
    Next, go to news.google.com. From what I've seen, no rings on this page!!! And it's not that the pages are off-beat or any such thing.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yeah, you're right, not a single ring. Though if you click on the links the rings will show up. Of course by then you may have found out why it's a bad page.

9. John Bull

Oh no, I don`t believe it. Not Paul, the Octopus that forecasts who will win the World Cup ?

John B

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Paul's an alright little dude, wish my cat could predict things other than storms :D

11. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

WOT page modification happens only for certain websites, so what you see is the expected behavior.

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

That was my point but I wanted to know whether it was some error on my part that caused the rings not to show next to the links in news.google.com.

As you say, the ring colour does eventually show up next to the toolbar after clicking on a link but that is not the best option.

13. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

As you can see in the picture :D

Any more questions?

http://www.mywot.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.