Wormguard

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Tmod, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tmod

Tmod Guest

Well I just might have messed up purchasing wormguard before reding this forum.

After I install it and upon reboot it shows as a Evaluation program and in windows when you open the actual program it shows registered to me.

When I try to scan anything with it I get a error "There is not enough memory to run this program. Quit one or more programs and try again.

After I open the main program one ttiime it will not reopen until I reboot the system.

I am running Windows98 if it matters. And no the solution shouldn't be update to XP.

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Tmod,

When you installed it did you have disabled any anti-virus or similarly protective low-level application?

If not, you might want to try uninstalling it and then disabling these programs for a fresh install.

3. Tmod

Tmod Guest

Well I tried what you suggested and came back with the exact same problems.

This is now 4 reinstalls of this software.

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Tmod, the registrated or evaluation is a thing which i thought was only on XP systems, so don't worry about that, it will keep working as you put your keyfile in it.
    The scan with Wg seems a win98 problem, i run win98 as well and same happens here, while on NT/2000/XP systems people seem not to have that problem anymore.
    Just remember WG works all in the background, popping up the moment you are intending to open something suspicious or worse, to block it immediately.
    You can test that easily with creating some test files, like a notepad with a text in it like
    Msgbox "This is a VBS script running"
    you save with a name like test.vbs.txt for which you will get a suspicious double extension warning when you click it, while changing the name for test.vbs it might run normally, while if you paste in some suspicious sounding parts like infect write virus it might alarm again for the lines you write there.
    Just to give some impression :)

5. Tmod

Tmod Registered Member

Ok on to the next problem then,

After shutting down the program I get this error.

"Wguard caused an invalid page fault in module MSVBVM60.dll @ 0187:73435d95"

Any Ideas?

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

You ARE registered, ignore alarm screens showing unregistered and there is no effect on actual registration (no expiry will occur)

Right click scanning is not working correctly in some cases, but you may be able to execute WGSCAN.EXE and give it the file to scan. The scanning in Wormguard is always active, and it is working and scanning all files you click on, so no need to worry about manual scanning. We will include an on-demand scanner in the next version

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

For the MSVBVM60.dll part of visual basic / virtual machine
    Are your windows patches all up to date, including the virtual machine part and which version of that MSVBVM60.dll do you have? You can have a rather recent version on the TDS required files page as indicated in the sticky threads on top of the TDS forum above this one.

8. Tmod

Tmod Registered Member

But wouldn't I get a error with TDS-3 if the files were not the correct versions?

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

It never hurts to look for the required files for TDS (version numbers) and certainly for the virtual machine it is very advisable to make sure you have the updated version, as former versions were very vulnerable.
    Either have the MSVBVM60.dll from the TDS site if that is newer then yours or make sure you have that last VM or the vbruntimes from tje MS download site.
    Easiest way to replace a system file:
    download the file and rename the extension dll for instance into dl2 and put it in the windows\system folder.
    As the original file will be in use, you won't be able to change that extension, so you go into DOS mode.
    c:\cd windows\system
    ren MSVBVM60.dll MSVBVM60.dl3
    ren MSVBVM60.dl2 MSVBVM60.dll

and you can reboot back to normal mode. In this way you have the original renamed as dl3 and the new version has the original name, so if anything would not be ok you can do the same to get your original back in place if needed.

Hope this does the trick for you with WG too!

10. Tmod

Tmod Registered Member

Ok just so you don't think I have problems with TDS-3 it runs fine with the version of VM I have.

The versions that I have are as follows:
    OLEAUT32.DLL=2.40.4518
    OLEPRO32.DLL=5.0.5014
    ASYCFILT.DLL=3.50.5014
    STDOLE2.TLB=3.50.5014
    MSVBVM60.DLL=6.00.9237
    COMCAT.DLL=5.0 XP CLIENT.010817-1148

I see that all of these files are newer then the versions required by TDS-3 or Wormguard.

Any other ideas? Or do us Win98 users get a backseat on this one?

Is there such a thing as a refund on this software? It should have been included as a freebie with TDS-3 seeing that it really doesn't work all that well.

TDS-3 is great!
    Port Explorer is great!
    Wormguard just downright sucks!

11. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Your files look fine.
    Was this page fault one time or does this happen more often?
    I have WG on my win98Se since the beginning and only have that "not enough memory" for "scan with WG" but all the others you run into not.
    Do you have any registry protection (regprot?) which best temporary should be closed at installing WG and are you sure at installing WG all av/at were completely disabled, maybe even rebooted after that?

12. Tmod

Tmod Registered Member

Hi Jooske,

It happens everytime right after I close the main window.

Here is the last way I installed it,

Turned off all AV/AT as well as everything else with the exception of Explorer and Systray. Installed WG and rebooted. Still get the error message no matter what I do.

I noticed you have 98SE and I am beginning to wonder if this is a problem that plagues regular 98.

Don't these people check this stuff? I guess there are different ways of expressing if it works on any one OS as they say it works on 98 but they really need to correct that if it doesn't have all of the capabilities or gets error's. :mad:

13. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

It does work on 95, 98, 98se, me, nt, 2000 home, 2000 pro, xp home, xp pro, 2003
    98se is working slightly different in many places, so if possible to get such an update cd-rom (maybe from the windows site?) -- which IE version do you use?
    And do you have windows scripting host enabled?
    easy to test:
    open notepad, type Msgbox "this is a vbs script running"
    save as test.vbs click the thing, you should get a little messagebox on your screen with that text inside.
    Now save the file with some double extension, WG should jump up protesting for the double extension.
    If this test is not working, some parts in your updates should need updating, among others the windows scripting host.
    Make sure you updated everything thinkable.

14. Tmod

Tmod Registered Member

If it works on 98 someone better tell my system that it does.

I am running IE6 sp1.

I tried your suggestion on the VBScript box and yes it does pop up with that text in it.

I also tried placing a double extension on that file and yes Wormguard does stop it and tells me the true extension.

Still don't understand the errors that I get with this though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.