Wormguard Vs Attack Shield Worm Suppression

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by abhi_mittal, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

Hi all,

Could anyone tell me about the comparison of Wormguard and Attack Shield Worm Suppression? How do they compare on:
    • Effectivenedd
    • Detection
    • RAM Usage

Thanks

2. abhi_mittal

I am using WinXP, 256RAM notebook with Avast, ZA Free and PrevxHome

3. abhi_mittal

Advise me guys!!!!!!!

4. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

May be a bit difficult to advise you. You would probably need to find someone who has used both.

However, in relation to resource usage - if I remember right, Wormguard does not use any - except for when it it called by the attempted initiation of a script...then it scans the script to see if it's safe.

Not sure that I've every seen any independant testing on it, but I remember running a number of email tests, and it passed everyone of them (nothing got through). It was about 12 or so tests if I remember right.

5. abhi_mittal

Thanks Vikorr
    Any more comments from anyone??
    Is Wormguard free?
    Any other similar free products you suggest?

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi I moved your thread to here as it is not directly a Wormguard support question. You will probably get a better response here than on the vendors forum.

Thanks. Pilli :)

7. abhi_mittal

No problem Pili

Any more comments from anyone??
    Is Wormguard free?
    Any other similar free products you suggest?

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

WormGuard is sharewear. :)

9. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I looked at this product and decided not to try it. It seems to focus on network worms and code injection. See

Attack Shield FAQ
    http://www.sanasecurity.com/products/as/faq.php

You can compare with WG:

WormGuard 3 Features
    http://wormguard.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=features

It seemed to me that Attack Shield would not be a replacement for WormGuard because there is no ability for blocking script filetypes, as far as I can discern from reading about it.

For a thorough comparison of detection, one would have to test both products, which is what I would do in your case. I'm leary of relying solely on other's experiences.

The FAQ states that other similar products are signature-based, but they aren't including WormGuard which is not signature-based, rather, uses heuristics.

regards,

-rich

10. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

ScriptDefender is a free alternative. My understanding is that it is not quite as comprehensive as Wormguard....but still very good for being free.

11. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

Can anyone tell me if attack shield will have any conflict with the programs i got and if it will give me any extra protection for worm?

coz i would like a free program to prevent worm.

look at my signature. :D

12. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Attackshield protects 9 system processes (by default) from pretty much any kind of attack, from files to memory, and is meant to stop buffer overflows in those processes. It will not alert you to anything, it simply blocks anything out of the ordinary from happening with those 9 processes. It's kind of like having ProcessGuard and Prevx protecting only 9 files, although it's always on (you don't disable it to install anything). This stops things like sasser that cause a buffer overflow from the internet to infect your system. Uses about 10mb RAM.

WormGuard is an "intelligent" script blocker that analyzes the script for suspicious entries before alerting. It doesn't use any system resources, it only runs when a script runs, then it closes as soon as it's done.

So they handle completely different things, stopping different kinds of worms. They are more complimentary than anything else. I wouldn't call AttackShield a "must have", but if you have the extra RAM, it can make a good addition to your setup. It's 100% transparent (you won't know it's there, except for the tray icon), and I've not found any incompatibilities so far (except for a program that was in beta, but it was quickly fixed).

13. abhi_mittal

Very Enlightening!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.