Wormguard culprit

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by snowbound, Nov 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hello everyone :)

I have been racking my brains for the past week trying to figure out why iam having problems with my ZA+ 4.5.

Things like acessing zone labs website from ZA+ interface screen, going to program control, programs and right clicking properties and finally going to my log screen and trying to view my logs.

When i do any of these things ZA+ crashes.
    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling 4 times. Nothing changed. Even emailed ZA support and they told me to uninstall and reinstall again, well been there done that.

My o/s is xp home.

Well, i just solved the problem. It is my old buddy wormguard. I should have known. I just removed the guts out of wormguard and voila! ZA is cured of it's problems.

I will have to add this to my list of things that wormguard doesn't like on my system.

That's about it. Won't ask when wormguard4 is coming.

Don't want to start that discussion again.

Don't get me wrong, i love wormguard but it is a royal pain sometimes.

Waiting with anticipation ;)

Snowbound

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Thanks for the warning, i'll wait with upgrading ZAPro to 4.5 as on my system WG3 and ZAPro do fine at the moment.

Normally one would first install PE, then WG, then ZAPro, before or after that TDS i guess.
    Don't think you're looking forward to trying to install WG now after your working ZAPro to see if it will stay ok again?

It can even be because of all installed on an XP and it could be because of having XP all fully updated with all SPs or not updated with them and it could be the problem is only happening on XP and not on other systems, it's so hard to say and DCS is so close with WG4 --we're all looking forward to that new version, of course!
    Fingers crossed you keep clean and safe in the meantime!

3. snowbound

Hi Jooske :D
    Probably a good idea. A lot of people are also complaining about automatic updater in new version also.
    I always reinstall wormguard. It is an essential program on my computer! :) The problems with ZA+ are minor.
    I hope your right! ;)

I'd also like to try some of the other DCS products(PE,PG) but being a novice i don't know if i would know exactly how to use them! ;)

I will definitely trial TDS again when new version comes out.

Thanks for response jooske :)

Snowbound

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Its not ZaPro 4.5 or Wormguard 3 that is necessarily the culprit. I am on XP Pro here, and I have TDS-3, Wormguard, Process Guard, Abtrusion Protector, and ZAPro all happily coexisting together. I upgraded from ZAPro 4.0 to 4.5.. and it was painless. Everything works fine together.

5. snowbound

Hey Peter2150 :)

I'm no expert but 95% of the time if i have a problem with a new program on my system, wormguard is the culprit.

How do i know?
    Because if i uninstall wormguard everything works fine.

Wormguard and XP problems have been well documented here. Not everyone, as u have no problems.

Snowbound

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Snowbound. I think you might have taken my comment the wrong way. All I am saying is Wormguard may appear to be the culprit, but culprit implies there is something wrong with the program, and that might not be the case. Let me explain.

First not all XP's are the same. My system came with a clean Microsoft version of XP pro installed, and I have a friend who bought an IBM laptop and it has XP pro installed by IBM. They look and feel the same, but there are subtle differences, as IBM has added "stuff"

2nd, a lot of programs such as wormguard go deep into the operating system. I run Abtrusion Protector which is also tied into the deepest layers of XP, and I use Raxco's Perfect Disk defragger. This program has two levels of defrag. Online, which is all the main files, and Offline where it will defrag the page file, and other hidden system files. The online works fine with Abtrusion Protector, but because the offline, goes to the heart of XP, the offline fails if AP is running, so I have to disable it first. Does this make either a culprit. I wouldn't say so, just because of the way the work, they can't work together.

Wormguard works for some, and not for others. What this simply(well okay its not simple) may mean is there is something somewhere buried on your system, that is setting up what you are experiencing. Frustrating, to say the least, and really tough, if not impossible to find.

Hope this clarifies what I was trying to say.

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Thanks Peter for the explanation, sounds good.

For systems not being the same, i know for sure: ever in an office 1700 new computers all the same brand and specs had to be installed with the same basical software and several reacted very different. Why? Who can tell wins the prize. (of course i can imagine some reasons: specs doen't say all have also the same hardware made etc.) Anyway, after a while they differ of course in use and what users might have done with them.
    So with different brands one can most certainly expect differences.
    That's why in fact we should not only ask for the windows version but also which version and/or brand of computer was used, like your IBM or an HP, Dell, whatever example. It can make big differences.
    Not sure if DCS has such a database, the experience is there.

Snowbound, did you say "trialing TDS"?
    Can assure you TDS runs fine on all systems. If not, there must be some settings/configuration matters on the system.

I had strange problems with every ZAPro update, but those were solvable with a new install of it each time.
    It can be ZAPro itself, it can be one of the log analizers programs connected to it, who can tell?
    I have WG running without any new install since it was first released years ago, so it can work fine.
    I made it a habit to wait several days or weeks before taking an update to hear other peoples problems/ solutions first if there are.

Hope you get WG working fine again together with ZAPro.
    Maybe on XP you should uninstall WG, install ZAPro and isntall WG again, or temporary disable WG protection while installing ZAPro and re-enable it after the ZAPro install like more XP users do. It's worth the try.
    Those programs go really deep into the system.

For PE: look into the PE forum and we'll be happy to answer your questions there. Insatall and look, not very difficult.
    For PG the same in today's new PG forum, although there are some other threads about it on the DCS forums. This is more advanced, and more to come. First get it all working what you all have before you take the next steps. The Beta Team loves the program!

8. snowbound

Ok

Culprit might be a strong word.

All i'm trying to say is wormguard gives me trouble in certain circumstances.

For example if i download any program i first have to uninstall wormguard components( if i remember ;))
    If i don't it will stop the download in progress.

Everyone already knows about the xp help and support thing so...........

Now the problem with ZA+ 4.5

There is no other program on my computer that i have to uninstall to do any of these things and yes i have uninstalled wormguard completely in the past thinking if i reinstall it it would fix these problems but it didn't.

U are right, all xp's aren't the same. U have no problems, i do. Obviously we do not have the same programs on our computers.
    Other people in these forums have said that they actually got rid of wormguard because of the problems they had with it.

I would not go that far because i like it to much and i always figure out a way around my problems so far.

I wish these things didn't happen but they do.
    Iam only stating them because it is a fact on my box.

Jooske what i meant is i trialed TDS a long time ago,liked it a lot but it kinda overwhelmed me being a new user. It worked very well on my system. Since that time i have learned a little bit more about it and would really like to try it again. From what i have seen in these forums it is a fantastic anti trojan programme. Hope to do that soon.

Thanks jooske i will try PE and PG. They also look very interesting to me. I know these forums are very helpful to new users.

Iam planning on going to XP PRO soon so hopefully all these problems will just fade away into the sunset! ;)

Thanks

Snowbound

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Uninstalling WG for downloading another program?
    How is this possible? Do you use some download helper program with for instance a double file name like *.1.2.exe or such a thing? That would only be a warning for a double extension, not a blockage and with putting that file on the allow list the problem for that file would be over.
    It could be enough to temporary disable WG with one press of the button and enable it again after the install of the other program.
    Or maybe you download from suspicious sites which are blocked?

10. snowbound

This is what i do when i download a new program.

Sorry, i guess i didn't word it properly.

Snowbound

11. snowbound

Also, everytime i renable wormguard
    i get a runonce error. Don't know why that is. :doubt:

Snowbound

12. snowbound

Are these sites suspicious?

SPYWAREBLASTER- HOMEPAGE

SPYBOT S&D- HOMEPAGE

LAVASOFT- HOMEPAGE

ESET-HOMEPAGE

SPYCOP-HOMEPAGE

ZONE LABS- HOMEPAGE

DCS- HOMEPAGE

I don't think so. ;)

Snowbound

13. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

No fortunately all very reasonable sites! All software from thare that belongs to your security basic toolkit. :cool:

So then it is the next:
    Is there a download helper you use which might be blocked for it's file name?
    Which message do you exactly get from WG when you are trying to d/l anything?
    At times i use one and some sites don't like those to be used (guess among others to avoid corrupted d/l and data possible transmitted to those helper bases, etc) but then i only get a windows error message or a warning from that site to use the conventional windows download tool.
    But never have seen WG jumping in.
    If you would for instance have all exe files blocked (never do that!) in WG and you start an exe yes, then it jumps in, of course.
    So add your possible downloader program to the allowed list and that problem should be solved.

I'm 99% sure this has to do with a configuration somewhere either in your WG blocked list or the filename of the download program exe
    or settings in your ZAPro about the allowing a program to use other programs on internet (in learning mode of ZAPro use the programs protection on medium) somewhere in that area.
    But then i would also expect ZAPro to give warnings in the first place.

14. snowbound

Good morning jooske! (i live in canada) ;)

No, i never use any download manager and it has nothing to do with ZA+ since i have only had it for 3 weeks.
    This problem has been going on for a year.

I do not have .exe blocked in wormguard. I just use default settings.
    When i have download problems there is no message from wormguard, only message is download was unable to complete.

When this happens i go and disable wormguard protection, start again and download goes smoothly.

It is so strange why this happens. I wish i did get a message from wormguard, then i would at least know how to go about fixing it.

This problem started right after i acquired wormguard so that was the first thing i checked and like i said before i just disabled wormguard and everything goes fine when i download any new programs.

It is easy to work around. I just have to remember to disable wormguard first ;) I guess it is just one of those little quirky things that happens sometimes. ;)

Hopefully with wormguard4 i won't have this problem anymore :D.

I would really like to know why i get that runonce error everytime i renable wormguard. That one is a real mystery to me.

Snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.