Wormguard and Desktop Shortcuts

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by chriskirner, Mar 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chriskirner

chriskirner Registered Member

Hi there,

I just downloaded the trial and installed it. Suddenly, I noticed some of my programs wouldn't start from the desktop. Finally, I realized it was only the shortcuts. Any idea why? When I disable Wormguard they work fine.

Chris

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hello chriskirner and welcome to the forum!
    Did you close all your av and at scanners before you installed WormGuard?
    Does rightclicking on the icons unfold the rightclick menu like before and is it the left or doubleclick not working on them?
    Did you reboot after installing WormGuard?

3. chriskirner

Hi Jooske,

Thanks for the timely reply.

I downloaded a fresh file, uninstalled the previous one, and reinstalled, after first disabling NAV and Spyware Guard. I forgot, however, to disable Spyware Blaster, since it runs transparently (oops). Then I rebooted.

At first I thought the problem had been taken care of. I installed Worm Guard protection, then double clicked a Steve Gibson Wizmo link to a screensaver, which worked. But then I decided to run a new scan on a "suspicious" file (dual ext., bat and pif) CDS found for me last night (which I had already renamed to a txt file). After I ran the scan my desktop flickered twice and my shortcuts stopped working. Interestingly, my shortcut to this page worked fine (as does the IE desktop icon).

Neither left double click, nor right click drop down OPEN works on shortcuts. They select, the little hourglass appears, then...nothing. Hmmm.

Anyway, thanks very much for you help. I gather from my search that I'm the only one whose experienced this little problem. Interesting.

Chris

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hmmmmmm did you see my thread about losing rightclick menu options among others in the "software and services" forum? I had some cleaning to do as some programfile was on the loose, most probably because of other software. Once found and uninstalled what seemed to be the culpit all is well again, a HJT log didn't show suspicious things.
    You run XP with SP1 or ..??

5. chriskirner

Hi Jooske,

No, I run ME on a Dell Inspiron 8000 notebook.

You know, it just occurred to me what might be the problem. It's fairly certain it's something to do with my configuration, rather than a bug, since it's such an unusual problem. I think it might be because I'm very low on memory resources. I have 128 mb and most of it is used up with running processes loaded at startup. My programs run mostly in virtual. I would bet that's it.

Chris

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

How about closing unnecessary startups and do manually after the startup to ease that process? WormGuard does not start up, it's merely a hook which sites there not eating resources till it's needed for a warning. So for WG that should not be the problem, suppose... more a configuration thing.
    F.e. TDS and Port Explorer i start manually when all reboot and startups have completed.

7. chriskirner

Jooske,

You know what? I'm so tired of messing with my startup sequence and loaded drivers. I think I'm just going to sit on this awhile and see if anything comes together in my mind, before I go poking around again. It's not like I'm on a timetable or anything.

Incidentally, this morning I loaded WG and scanned a file I had just downloaded. For the first time WG came back with a message, so it seems to be working even with the other probs.

Anyway, thanks for all you help, Jooske.

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.