worm.some.fool.gen-1

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by drpetr, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drpetr

drpetr Registered Member

Anti-virus administrators have sent me messages that email from me (my Outlook) contained above named virus. Multiple scanning (Norton, Spybot) fails to detect this virus. What else can I do?
    Thanks.

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there and welcome to the forum!
    That is an alias for one of the netsky- versions.
    99,9% sure they did not come from you, but your email address was harvested somewhere like a mailbox or system where a person had some mail from you or the email address was created by the worm itself.
    The worm itself is also spreading and lookign like it comes from postmasters and infection messages and the infection itself in the attachment, and occasionally telling it has been scanned with whatever email scanner and clean! They're not, they are the infections themselves!
    If they come from real postmasters, generally they have the habit of showing a full header of proof you would have been the sender and you see strange IP adresses in it which never can have been you.

If there would have been anything suspicious and if you have WormGuard installed it would jump up for a worm file.
    Another thing would be download TDS from the DiamondCS site, www.diamondcs.com.au , close all your antivirus scanners completely and install TDS and since you were there at that site you might have grabbed other nice free evaluation programs too, WormGuard, Port Explorer, etc. after installing reboot, get back to that site and also download the newest radius.td3 file and start TDS.
    Now you should be able to do a full system scan with that.
    But like said, i think you're really not infected at all for then you would have lots of other trouble on your system and many more complaints!

3. drpetr

drpetr Registered Member

Thanks. There was a temporary slow down of the computer, but it has normalized after rebooting. I really appreciate your advice.
    Petr

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You're welcome!
    To make really sure please do another deep scan, maybe with some of the free online scanners like http://housecall.anitivirus.com to name an example.
    Just to be extra sure!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.