Worldwide PC Shipments Grew 1.5% in Second Quarter of 2019

Discussion in 'hardware' started by hawki, Jul 11, 2019.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"Gartner Says Worldwide PC Shipments Grew 1.5% in Second Quarter of 2019

STAMFORD, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--After two quarters of decline, the worldwide PC market grew 1.5% in the second quarter of 2019, according to preliminary results by Gartner, Inc. Shipments totaled 63 million units in the second quarter of 2019, up from 62 million units in the second quarter of 2018.

'Worldwide PC shipments growth was driven by demand from the Windows 10 refresh in the business market in the second quarter of 2019. Desktop PC growth was strong, which offset a decline in mobile PC shipments,' said Mikako Kitagawa, senior principal analyst at Gartner.

'Additionally, there are signs that the Intel CPU shortage is easing, which has been an ongoing impact to the market for the past 18 months. The shortage mainly impacted small and midsize vendors as large vendors took advantage and continued to grow, taking market share away from the smaller vendors that struggled to secure CPUs.'..."

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...rtner-Worldwide-PC-Shipments-Grew-1.5-Quarter

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I wonder if that is really the correct conclusion. Was it really due to a "demand" for Windows 10? Or was Windows 10 just coincidental due to the fact total "end-of-life" support for Windows 7 ends this coming January along with the fact the big PC makers can no longer purchase W7 from MS to install on their new products?
    This surprises me - not that PC growth is strong, but that there is a decline in mobile PC shipments.

3. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I've seen a couple of articles attributing the rise, in part, to PC and component purchases made ahead of and to beat the last increase in China tariffs.

4. Bill_Bright

Excellent point! Though it would seem that would contribute to an increase in mobile device sales too.

5. guest

guest Guest

Gartner, IDC agree that PC sales are up—but they don’t agree what a PC is
    July 12, 2019
    https://arstechnica.com/information...ales-are-up-but-they-dont-agree-what-a-pc-is/

6. Bill_Bright

:( This is just silly. I see it as manipulating numbers to deceive... err... satisfy marketing goals and share holders.

Yes, a PC is a "personal computer" which can be defined in any number of ways. A laptop is a personal computer, but is it a PC? In my book, no.

A "PC", in my opinion, should be defined in the traditional "IBM PC" way. That is, NOT a portable or handheld device but a computer housed in a desktop or tower case attached to a large screen monitor, full size keyboard and mouse. And it needs to be plugged into the wall outlet to run. I would probably concede an AiO computer is a PC, again because it is not considered a portable computer. But tablets, laptops, smart phones - basically anything with a battery you can carry away - are not PCs.

7. guest

guest Guest

Brazil sees increase in PC sales in Q2 2019
    September 20, 2019
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/brazil-sees-increase-in-pc-sales-in-q2-2019/

8. guest

guest Guest

Worldwide PC shipments were on the rise in Q3
    Looking solid heading into the holiday buying season
    October 11, 2019

https://www.techspot.com/news/82309-worldwide-pc-shipments-rise-q3.html

9. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I agree that both the threat of the Trump tariffs on computers (all encompassing) from China which was scheduled for Sept/Dec 2019 and the pending W7 eol have influenced sales worldwide. Though it is usually Q4 that sees the largest increase for computers. Christmas buying sends the percentages up, but in the USA the biggest contributors are Black Friday (November 29) and Cyber Monday (December 2).

In Canada, Boxing Day is probably 'the' day for buying computers. However, Canadians are participating more in the above two online events of late. The drawback is duties and shipping costs (that get creatively 'jacked up'). Local merchants are now jumping on the bandwagon though. I suppose that other places throughout the world have similar manic consumer events. Isn't Amazon everywhere now?

10. guest

guest Guest

Q4 2019
    PC shipments grew in 2019 ahead of bet on 5G and dual-screen devices
    January 13, 2020
    https://venturebeat.com/2020/01/13/pc-shipments-q4-2019/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.