World's first 'tax' on Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

The Australian online retailer Kogan.com has introduced the world's first "tax" on Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) browser.

Customers who use IE7 will have to pay an extra surcharge on online purchases made through the firm's site.

BBC News Technology

I know people who still use IE 6, I kid you not!

2. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

What I dislike about media. A false headline to grab your attention. Yes it worked, it does not make it right.

Not a tax. I do like they put 'tax' in quotes though, guess that makes it OK. :(

3. Daveski17

Well. it is the BBC. They have standards. LOL

4. mattfrog

mattfrog Registered Member

This is a real annoyance to me, along with the other media trick to avoid libel, phrasing as a question:

Does this IE7 charge make the owner a sex-crazed maniac drug dealer?

5. Daveski17

Only if it was reported in The Sun or News of the World ROTFL.

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

It costs more to make a website compatible with any non-standards compliant browser.
    Is it fair to charge these users more for purchases ?
    Is it fair to charge a flat rate and let the users of compliant browser soak up the extra costs in their purchases ?

I honestly don't know. Some people might not be able to install an alternate/newer browser due to not having admin rights. Some users might not know how to. Some users might be able to, but cannot due to needing compatibility with other sites. Others might not be aware to.
    The web has standards, should compliance be enforced, cars in the UK have to have road worthyness tests annually to ensure they meet the standards of a road legal vehicle, so enforcement of standards does happen outside web, but it is fairly applicable ?

Cheers, Nick

7. Daveski17

IE 7 was a terrible browser anyway. I dunno about taxation, therapy would be a better bet after using it for about five minutes. It was the reason I downloaded Firefox.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have no problem with this. Even if a user doesnt have admin rights and cannot upgrade IE they can always use a portable version of firefox,chrome or opera.

9. Daveski17

Assuming that they have the admin rights to download & run a portable. ;)

10. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Not where I work. Machines are locked down so tight standard users can't run anything apart from approved apps.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Im sure if someone needed to purchase something for work and a website added tax for using an outdated browser im sure you could eiether 1. find another retailer or 2 ask the admin of the network for assistance. I would say the retailer in question is for consumer goods so rights to download and install wouldnt be an issue at home.

In the end companies will be forced to move away from windows xp and the aweful IE6.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  12. Daveski17

XP has about two years before it's history & IE 6, from what I can recall was a pretty good browser. IE 7, on the other hand, was terrible. It really was the reason I originally downloaded Firefox. It shouldn't be used by anybody. Ever.

13. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Hilarious, and I can relate to the way they feel about it. My company is refusing to support it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.