World's first biz computer was British – and sold teacakes

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I watched a brilliant documentary a few years ago on TV, which showed film of this & other early comps, both British & American. Along with lots of background info & original interviews with the designers, from the 40's & 50's & 60's, Bletchly Park etc !

And look where the British are now, leading the world in Comps etc, err not :(

3. Daveski17

I saw a programme about Tommy Flowers & how he built Colossus a week or so ago. Apparently, after the war the Soviets were using a version of an even more powerful form of Enigma that Hitler had used as his own personal super-encryptor. Colossus broke that code as well. They reckon that's why much of this information was so secret & is only really beginning to be known about now. Many think that Flower's machine & work may have even shortened the war by a year or two.

I blame Clive Sinclair LOL! At least we invented the World Wide Web, & probably the world's first browser.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  4. CloneRanger

@ Daveski17

Thanks for the Tommy Flowers link :thumb: I knew about Alan Turing & Colossus, but wasn't aware of TF, or had forgotten :(

Clive Sinclair, yeah i know, but at least he was a pioneer too ;)

5. Daveski17

They'll probably repeat that programme about Flowers on BBC 4 fairly soon. It's worth watching.

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of his ideas were badly realised once they reached the manufacturing stage. I remember saving up for one of his programmable calculators when I was at school. The programmable bit worked fine, I remember once it saving me hours in doing homework on quadratic equations. Unfortunately its other functions never worked properly. I think he resolved many of the problems with later models, but I also think that a lot of his original & advanced design concepts were not always thought through well.

Take his ideas on futuristic motor transport for example.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

7. Daveski17

8. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

9. Daveski17

Nah! It doesn't count unless you can plug it in. ;)

10. Daveski17

For anyone interested & living in the UK (& parts of Europe) there is a drama/documentary about Turing called Britain's Greatest Codebreaker on C4 9.00pm (GMT). It will probably be able to be streamed on 4oD (Channel 4 on demand) a little later. I don't know about the rest of the world.

11. CloneRanger

@ Daveski17

Thanks for the Turing C4 info :thumb: Unfortunately i didn't notice your post intime :( If it's a repeat i'll have seen it before though :) If not i'll make sure to catch it when it is :thumb:

12. Daveski17

I don't think it was a repeat, I'm sure you'll be able to watch it streamed on 4oD.

13. CloneRanger

@ Daveski17

Thanks for the suggestion :thumb:

Streaming is a no no for me right now, as i'm using a mobile broadband stick with limited bandwith per month :( Fine for everything else, just not that !

14. Daveski17

Don't worry, they will repeat it! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.