World's first biz computer was British – and sold teacakes

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I watched a brilliant documentary a few years ago on TV, which showed film of this & other early comps, both British & American. Along with lots of background info & original interviews with the designers, from the 40's & 50's & 60's, Bletchly Park etc !

And look where the British are now, leading the world in Comps etc, err not :(

3. Daveski17

I saw a programme about Tommy Flowers & how he built Colossus a week or so ago. Apparently, after the war the Soviets were using a version of an even more powerful form of Enigma that Hitler had used as his own personal super-encryptor. Colossus broke that code as well. They reckon that's why much of this information was so secret & is only really beginning to be known about now. Many think that Flower's machine & work may have even shortened the war by a year or two.

I blame Clive Sinclair LOL! At least we invented the World Wide Web, & probably the world's first browser.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  4. CloneRanger

@ Daveski17

Thanks for the Tommy Flowers link :thumb: I knew about Alan Turing & Colossus, but wasn't aware of TF, or had forgotten :(

Clive Sinclair, yeah i know, but at least he was a pioneer too ;)

5. Daveski17

They'll probably repeat that programme about Flowers on BBC 4 fairly soon. It's worth watching.

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of his ideas were badly realised once they reached the manufacturing stage. I remember saving up for one of his programmable calculators when I was at school. The programmable bit worked fine, I remember once it saving me hours in doing homework on quadratic equations. Unfortunately its other functions never worked properly. I think he resolved many of the problems with later models, but I also think that a lot of his original & advanced design concepts were not always thought through well.

Take his ideas on futuristic motor transport for example.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

7. Daveski17

8. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

9. Daveski17

Nah! It doesn't count unless you can plug it in. ;)

10. Daveski17

For anyone interested & living in the UK (& parts of Europe) there is a drama/documentary about Turing called Britain's Greatest Codebreaker on C4 9.00pm (GMT). It will probably be able to be streamed on 4oD (Channel 4 on demand) a little later. I don't know about the rest of the world.

11. CloneRanger

@ Daveski17

Thanks for the Turing C4 info :thumb: Unfortunately i didn't notice your post intime :( If it's a repeat i'll have seen it before though :) If not i'll make sure to catch it when it is :thumb:

12. Daveski17

I don't think it was a repeat, I'm sure you'll be able to watch it streamed on 4oD.

13. CloneRanger

@ Daveski17

Thanks for the suggestion :thumb:

Streaming is a no no for me right now, as i'm using a mobile broadband stick with limited bandwith per month :( Fine for everything else, just not that !

14. Daveski17

Don't worry, they will repeat it! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.