Workstation Video Cards

Discussion in 'hardware' started by TheKid7, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

If a person uses their PC primarily for editing video (little or no gaming), would it be better for them to have a Workstation Video Card or a Gaming Video Card? In other words, would a Workstation Video Card give better performance for editing videos than a Gaming Video Card?

Thanks in Advance.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

The way I understand a workstation graphics card will be inferior to a gaming one. Typically, workstations are bog standard, mass deployed machines.

3. pythoner

pythoner Registered Member

That depends on what Software your friend is using. IF for Example the Software does a great deal with CUDA for example, a cheap nvidia card will do the trick. Most of the workstation cards like ATIs Firegl and nvidias quadro are mostly designed for High End CAD and General 3D Development. Video Editing is a 2D job. Maybe a Matrox Parhelia would be helpful because they are designed for this.

Sry for my poor english.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

For general things a gaming card would be enough i guess.
    But if it's serious business a workstation card would do better because the cards are better optimized for such tasks and if i understand correctly, you get support from the developers. :rolleyes:

5. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

If playing games, creating Office documents, reading email, or simply surfing the Internet, that is true. But if doing graphics design and editing then a workstation card is definitely the superior choice.

That's where some confusion comes in. Often the term "workstation" does indeed mean a mass produced computer used for dedicated tasks like cash registers, restaurant waitress menu ordering stations, or maybe simple office machines. But a "workstation" can also mean a very sophisticated, often proprietary machine used for specialized work such as forensic analysis, computer aided design/engineering (CAD/CAE), medical imaging, or in this case, graphics editing. And in those cases, a workstation card would be appropriate.

Note a good workstation card can cost many $1000s! Where the best gaming cards typically cost between $500 and $1000.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

True, even when internally they are the SAME if not almost! :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.