Work Server

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Infected, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Infected

Infected Registered Member

I'm not sure if this is in the right section,

Can the administrator see your login information, like user name and password? Just say if you log into your personal email at work? I know this is bad practice, but I'm just seeing if they can.

Thanks

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Title of this thread is "Work server". Do you remote to that server?

Generally speaking, if you log into your email at work using computer provided by employer, they could get that information if they installed some kind of keylogger on that device. If device is "clean" and you use https to access your email you should be fine.

3. Infected

Yes remote. Ok, that's what I thought. I just wasn't sure. I was thinking if you use the company's wifi, and log into your email or bank, they could get your information.

4. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

If you are using a work owned computer, even remote logins, they can see anything they want to. If they elect to install software or protocols to monitor every keystroke the courts in the USA has OK'd such things. Several court cases have shown there is NO legal expectation of privacy against the company. In the long run you will be "miles ahead" if you simply don't mix work and play. I wouldn't read anything on my work computer that I would not want my company to observe me viewing. Now if you have your own Android (not company provided) and VPN through their connection (with their permission) that is different story.

5. Infected

That's good to know. I'll just not use their network for any personal use.

Thanks for the replies.

6. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Even without software on computer company provided to you as means of production, they can have some cameras in office and see which keys do you press.
    If you really need to login to email, use Two Factor Authentication (2FA) given that second factor is on device owned by you, not the company. They still can see the current content, but at least they can't log in again.

7. RioHN

RioHN Registered Member

Regarding company owned devices; many companies use MITM filtering systems in order to inspect and filter HTTPS traffic, e.g. Smoothwall. Doing this they only need install a certificate locally on the machine, no fancy client side software required. May be just me, but I never log in to important accounts such as personal email on a device I don't own/administer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.