WordWeb - I think this is unethical!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Sorry I haven't been around, but installing my new video card has turned into an epic adventure...

Well, WW5 is a good program. I've been using since about version 3 or so. I've recommended here at Wilders several times, but wouldn't you know, people start liking it for the first time when I complain about it.

Those of you who have tried it:

-did you get the quirky eula message regarding ownership of an SUV?

-did you look up a word like, say, dgkrgjfkro, that would not be in its dictionary so it would go online to find it?

==============================

The question I have to ask myself is:

Should software always play by the rules, or should we make exceptions for harmless well meaning bending of the rules. Bellgamin's response really got me thinking. My original outrage was based on the fact that if they can do it, and people accept it, then it becomes standard practice somewhere down the road. Now I'm starting to think there should be a little room for individual expression, and that we should be able to know the difference. This program isn't perfect but it is good. I wish I had the paid version too!

-HandsOff

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Yeah, the SUV thing is mentioned.
    Basic license http://wordweb.info/free/licence5.html
    Additional license discussion (with the SUV stuff) http://wordweb.info/free/licence_discuss.html

I had not looked up anything deliberately misspelled. I tried your "word" but elected to not go out to the web for the search. I doubt I ever will. If I'm already using my browser, I'd use Google (by placing "define:word" (without the quotes) in the search box) or Dictionary.com...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.