Word 2003 sudden close - NOD v5

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Mister Natural, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Registered Member

I've pushed v5 to nearly 100 pc's the past few days. No problems to report with the exception of 2 pc's. Both running windows xp and office 2003. It seems MS Word will suddenly close for no reason and they have to re-open and use the recover feature to recover their document. Nothing reported in the windows event viewer. I'm reverting them back to v4 for now.

I have other machines with that config as well as much newer systems which do not seem to be having the problem. Just seems to be with 2 pc's.

Anyone familiar with this issue?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do you have the HIPS module 1052 installed?

3. Mister Natural

Yes it appears all clients are using hips 1052. The pc's are on an active directory network and their home documents folder is redirected to a network drive on a server 2008 r2 system.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you can reproduce the issue, does disabling real-time protection or HIPS (followed by a computer restart) make a difference?

5. Mister Natural

For now I have reverted the 2 pc's in question back to v4. Unfortunately the 2 pc's are in our legal department in which I can't spend a lot of time troubleshooting and have to go for the quick fix.

On a side note not related to the Word problem I had to revert 2 more machines back to v4 because of unresponsiveness of the system. Both are older machines running windows xp also. On those 2 machines the startup scan basically made the computer very slow and completely unresponsive. The bottom toolbar icon showed the startup scan in progress but I could not do anything on the machine except watch the icon spin. Mouse clicks and keyboard were unresponsive.

3 of the 4 systems mention are dell laptops with the other a dell optiplex pc. I actually have a few machines older than these in which no problems have been reported so far. And no problems on newer, faster systems running windows 7.

If I come across another machine with issues I will try your suggestions.

UPDATE

I noted the post by geosoft regarding exclusion of the c:\windows\csc directory and have just modified the default policy in eras. This may well be part of the problem I have experienced with at least the latter 2 machines mentioned.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  6. Mister Natural

Thank you for the PM Marcos.

7. padawan88

padawan88 Registered Member

I've got the same problem with windows Xp and Office 2003, Outlook and word will close suddenly.

What is the solution ?

Thank you

8. Mister Natural

Putting an exclusion of c:\windows\csc\*.* in advanced settings resolved the issue for me until eset releases an update to fully address the issue. They are working to correct the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.