wont let me open IOS.ini

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by tutankamon, Dec 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tutankamon

tutankamon Registered Member

Hi all,
    I have recently downloaded the trial version of Wormguard, first of all, I cant see it running anywhere,even when I look for it with Appswat, and other programs which show running processes. I know it is there because when I went to open IOS.ini with notepad to see what was in there, Wormguard suddenly appeared, saying"Warning! for security reasons this file has been blocked from opening etc" underneath that was Risk Assessment: Medium

*> Suspicious strings detected.
    WormGuard has found a few strings in this file that are suspicious.

*> Contains suspicious string: virus
    LINE=......
    What does this mean? I have selected" Do nothing but stop the file from running" what now?

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi tutankamon , WG does not work as a normal backround process, it only fires up when files are opened or try to open a file.:)
    If you know what IOS.ini is then open it but if you do not then try viewing the file safely (WG option). WG has no database and relies on the file contents to decide if a file is suspicious or not.
    You have to make the final decision.

Take a good look through the help file and this may enable you to make the correct decision.

This link may help: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q138/8/99.asp

HTH Pilli

3. CompilerBacter

CompilerBacter Registered Member

Yes, opening a text file with the word "virus" in it will have the same effect, you get the idea.

4. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Obviously Wormguard 4 has taken a long time and things like this are already well thought out :) The new engine recognises file types and what will open or execute something. In short this means "running" IOS.ini like you have done will NOT trigger an alarm because it would launch notepad.exe ios.ini. Notepad would be scanned and found to be clean, hence 0 danger :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.