Won't install

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by DougI, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DougI

DougI Registered Member

I’ve gotten different errors each time I try to run the installer. The first time the installer couldn’t shut down Outlook and Windows Explorer. Then it couldn’t access epfwlog.dat.

I restarted and got past the shutdown issues but it still couldn’t access epfwlog.dat.

One more try and it couldn’t access cache.ndb.

The failed instal seems to put version 3 back correctly, although the GUI is disabled.

I'm running Smart Security 3 on Vista Ultimate SP1 (32 bit).

Suggestions?

2. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Did you uninstall V3 prior to install v4 as suggested by Marcos? "Please uninstall the version you currently have installed as the beta uses its own update server as well as credentials for update. Since it's still a beta version, we do not recommend installing it on production systems." (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=225559)
    If so, I would ask if you restarted the system after that and also if you manually deleted all Eset folders from your system before Installing v4
    As for the error about not being able to shutdown programs that you got from the installer my suggestion is to install after a fresh boot when no other program is running in the background, and if you get such an error tell the installer to ignore and promt for a reboot after installing (it is what I did and the beta is running prety well... for a beta :))
    Another issue could be if you have some sort of security program that could prevent from a clean install.
    Not to bother but you could also run the installer with Admin rights (right click>run as an Administrator) and avoid any UAC prompts from Vista.

3. DougI

DougI Registered Member

Thanks for the quick response.

I can't uninstall v3 from Control Panel because the uninstaller can't access cache.ndb. I don't have a seperate uninstall icon that I can "Run as Administrator" and I don't know of a way to run Contro Panel as Administrator.

Smart Security is the only security software that has ever been on this machine.

I've been choosing the restart option on all uninstalls & installs but it fails before reaching the point of restarting.

4. MasterTB

OK. Lets try again.
    Do you have an Uninstall option in Start Menu>Eset>Smart Security?? It should be there...
    If not, maybe your problem started with a corrupt install of v3 that is leaving something behind that is preventing you from correctly installing v4...

BTW, I meant that you run the Install for v4 as an Administrator (the .exe ou downloaded from Eset's web page) not the Uninstall for v3, I guess my english is not as good as I think :)

5. DougI

DougI Registered Member

Since I had no uninstall option I tried doing a repair install of v3 from the CD. That left me with v3 having no antivirus or firewall protection.

Next, I tried doing an uninstall of v3 from the CD. I had to manually stop the eset service, but it did uninstall.

I installed v 4 and it wanted the eset serviced stopped again. It completed the install and it appears to be working.

The only remaining problem is that neither the v3 password nor the beta password are being accepted. That leaves me with two week old definitions and a serious lack of confidence that the software is actually working correctly. I guess I'll have to stay away from he "naughty" sites.

Don't worry about your English. It's FAR better than my Spanish!

6. MasterTB

DougI: Try this
    username : updv4
    Password : upd4test

It is on another post but it is worth the shot. I also made the mistake of using my license data and it (ESS v4) stopped updating until I asked and this info is what I found in the forum, I changed to this user and pass and so far it is updating with no problems.

PD thanks about the "English". Some times no matter how much you study, using a non native language can be a challenge.

7. DougI

DougI Registered Member

Progress: the beta password doesn't work but my v3 password gets me past the password failure to "General complier error". I'm not precisely sure what that means but I suspect the problem is with the ESET servers. We frequently install NOD32 where I work and there have been problems for over a week.

8. MasterTB

I found this on another post, and had completely forgotten about it: try deleting this two registry keys after uninstalling all ESS software and prior to reinstalling v4:
    after uninstall delete these reg key's
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESET
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET

Then do a new install of the beta and see if this work, also do not import any settings from your old v3 profile, let it learn all over again.
    It could help to choose what profile you intent to use for the firewall right from the install and then keep it (I for example choose Interactive and it has worked so far...)
    Perhaps there is some kind of registry conflict on your machine, is it an "old" windows install?? you know how windows gets broken after some time... :)

9. DougI

DougI Registered Member

SUCCESS!

I decided to try another uninstall and reinstall but ran into a bunch of "access denied" problems. I suspected that these were caused by eset services that I couldn't stop. I rebooted into Safe Mode and deleted everything ESET in Program Data and Program iles. Another restart and install and update finally ran.

I sure hope the install process improves before this gets released. I know its in beta but this was painful.

Thanks Master TB for all the help!

10. MasterTB

You're welcome, glad I could help.
    I wish you a good testing :thumb: (from now on ;))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.