Wondershare Time Freeze 2.0.0

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by vhick, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vhick

vhick Registered Member

An update came from Wondershare Time Freeze...

What's new:
    Code:
    1. Redesigned software interface;
    2. Added support to 64-bit Windows  7/XP/Vista;
    3. Added Physical Memory Buffer Mode to speed up virtual  system performance;
    4. Enhanced MBR protection to protect the boot  sector of hard disk;
    5. Added USB stick protection to prevent virus  attack and unauthorized data copy.
    More information here..

2. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

looks really nice,new GUIis much better :D

3. Buster_BSA

Buster_BSA Registered Member

4. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

Too bad it's no longer free.

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Wondershare also sell a software called 'Time Shuttle' an Eaz-Fix/Rollback Rx clone so they have 3 applications that fail with itw malware :oops:

6. Night_Raven

For cyring out loud, you speak as if it fails with every single malware out there, which is not the case. Deep Freeze fails too. So does Returnil. So do antivirus/antimalware programs. All programs fail sometimes. No program is perfect. So maybe we should abandon using security software, since every product has a weak spot?

7. Meriadoc

Calm down, just stating a fact and no need to get all upset about it. Why are you making a big thing outta my post o_O If it was 'every single malware out there' I would of said that, but I didn't so I do not understand you. Its is almost like you would not like 'weak points' pointed out which would be bizarre. Without insulting you the comment on abandoning security software was not needed and ridiculous.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  8. Night_Raven

Well, I've been reading how all system virtualization software fail with SysSafe and I was kind of getting sick of all that bashing, panic and acting as if they are completely useless just because they fail this piece of malware.

9. Meriadoc

Hi Night_Raven :)
    No not at all, not bashing. Remember many people that do the testing may also use the software and only want a good product helping to improve it if they can or maybe just unselfishly want to inform others.
    Step back for a while if a thread becomes a bit repetitive and catch up with it later on, there are plenty more posts around to read.

10. Buster_BSA

SafeSys and all TDSS variants, which are a lot and new ones are being released continously.

So you are wrong, it´s not just "this piece of malware".

11. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

That's how I see it. :thumb:

12. Night_Raven

Well, if it's only TDL, then I don't think I'm wrong, as this is only one piece of malware, albeit with different versions. I mean there are other rootkits, trojans, rogues, etc. It's not just TDL out there. And while I do agree that the vulnerability of these products to TDL must be addressed, I also think there might be just a bit of an overreaction concerning the effectiveness of these products.
    And just to be clear, did you test the new version of WTF against the TDL before making the statement that it fails and posting a link to the other topic or did you automatically assume that version 2 fails if 1 already does? I'm asking because it kind of looks like the latter occurred but of course I could be wrong.

13. Buster_BSA

It´s SafeSys, TDL and any other malware using the same technique. So it´s not just a piece of malware, it´s a hole in the wall that should protecting the system.

Are you user of any of those products? I guess no, because if you were using one of them you would not be talking about overreaction.

I tested version 2, of course. I have a strong work methodology.

14. Night_Raven

And what other pieces of malware, besides TDL3, use this technique?

I've used some of them a few times but overall no, I don't consider myself a user of these products. However I would still think it's an overreaction to some extent. I've used other products that had been accused and ciriticised of offering less protection than they are supposed to and I had still thought people made a big deal of something that isn't as bad as they made it out to be. Don't get me wrong, this is not good, but it's not the end of the world, like some people make it out to be.
    If someone is using only system virtualization software for protection, then that someone is doing it wrong and it's his/her own fault for not taking things seriously.

15. Buster_BSA

I only knew SafeSys. It was other user who bringed TDSS to our attention. So it´s possible that there are more malwares taking advantage of this hole and we don´t know it yet.

Tell me what products you have used that claim to make your computer 100% secure.

In this case we are right to overreact because those products promise 100% protection and they don´t.

Only the end of the world is the end of the world.

This is just a big scandal of the security industry for the reasons I commented already:

1) They promise a protection they can not bring

2) They know about the issue and even then they promise a protection they can not bring

If someone believes in the publicity of that products, which is very clear about what they promise then it´s not doing it wrong, it´s being fooled, which is very different.

16. Night_Raven

So you assume, and yet sound pretty sure and critical of these programs in your statements. Not very fair in my opinion. But I guess a strong methodology means working with assumptions instead of facts.

I don't recall using any products that promise 100% efficiency. I also don't see 100% efficiency promised on the websites of any of the virtualization programs. There are some strong claims on their websites but nothing as strong as claiming they proctect against 100% of the malware. Besides every single vendor advertises its product as the best - antivirus, antimalware, firewalls, HIPS, etc. I see nothing that I haven't seen on any number of other websites. Standard marketing.

As already stated I don't consider the claims made by virtualization software vendors to be any more exaggerated than what other security software vendors say. They can also be considered misleading but I don't see so much whining about that.

17. dax123

dax123 Registered Member

100.gif

1002.gif

all.gif

100% advertising actually exists :rolleyes: they always did it even when they knew it's not.

18. Buster_BSA

Maybe not for you but for me one is more than enough, so imagine two...

Don´t mix up things. One thing is the work methodoly to test the products and other my opinions about the publicity used for advertising the products or other questions. You can not mix them because there is no relation.

My findings and the findings of other people are facts. My opinions can be discussed.

We know for sure that:

1) There is a hole in the technology used by that products which makes them completely useless to avoid permanent changes on system.

2) At least two different malwares (a worm and whole family of malwares) use that hole to bypass the products.

On my opinion it´s very possible that other malwares use the same technology and even if it´s unknown if that´s true or not, that´s irrelevant because the hole is there and it´s being exploited already.

An opinion I don´t share and that´s why I wanted you compare the claims that have been quoted with the claims of any other software vendor you use.

You just don´t want to compare claims because the differences would be obvious even if you deny that happens, but if you want to probe I´m wrong simply quote here the claims used by a vendor of a security product you use... come on...

19. Night_Raven

OK, I must've missed the Deep Freeze one. However concerning Shadow Defender, that "prevent all viruses and malware" doesn't seem as strong to me. Sure it has the word "all" in it but for some odd reason it doesn't strike me as strongly as the other "100% guarantee". Maybe it's just me then.

20. dax123

dax123 Registered Member

Because '%' is a scientific term, i think :D
    100% human :D :D

21. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Got an e-mail from Wondershare for timefreeze 2 . There selling it for half off the regular price. With the e-mail sent. No Thanks...........:argh:

22. Meriadoc

Lol, I to got an email. Funny, after kindly sending them over an email informing them of the bypass I get a reply offering a discount with absolutely no comment on my email.

23. Buster_BSA

24. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Other than for the issues already being discussed here, what's been your experience with Time Freeze 2.0?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.