Wondering about Outpost Lifetime License

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Trailblazerman, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trailblazerman

Trailblazerman Registered Member

Is it a good deal? $59.95 for a lifetime license seems great to me.

I've been depending on my router SPI firewall and windows XP SP3 firewall to get me along. Now I find myself outside that safety net more often than not and definitely in need of something to protect myself with on public networks.

I've tried LNS, OA Free, Jetico and Outpost Free and Outpost 2009 Trial. I used to use Comodo before it became a pig and won't use it again in its present state. I really like Outpost but it's hard to pull the trigger when they were offering it for $20 less for the lifetime license only a few months ago. Cost is definitely a factor for me.

Somewhat soon I'll be upgrading my hardware and will require a 64 bit solution. Outpost has that where OA doesn't currently. I like the secure banking thing from OA but wonder if Firefox with NoScript is just as good. I use NOD32 (from a recommendation on this forum) for my AV and absolutely love it. Solid product.

Decisions...decisions. Any input would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Just make sure you test it thoroughly on that 64 bit system before you make a purchase decision. You have a 30 day trial period. Also, take a look at their Sales and Upgrade Policy. Note that all sales and licenses are Final.

3. Trailblazerman

Good food for thought. Thanks for your reply.

Really what I'm wondering is if anyone is still using Outpost. Seems like folks are leaning toward OA and I don't really understand why. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something before I spend the money.

Thanks again. :)

4. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I am using Outpost Firewall Pro and have been for the last 4 years. I bought a lifetime license. I have been happy with it.

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I have tried outpost when it offered the life time lisence and it is really a nice application. The obvious suggestion is to try it when your new hardware arrives. In the mean time you could use OA free and Keyscrambler free with something like Browser Defender for IE or simular for FF. Downside of OA free is that it does not protect at boout up/down of the system. A website rating program/service should keep you out of risky places and Keyscrambler encodes your key strokes, so you can bank and shop safely on line.

When you move to Vista64, there is an easy add on called VistaFirewall control free. It has a 64 bits version. Make sure you use UAC and try Norton's UAC tool (remembers your UAC choices, also available in 64 bits). The Vista 64 architecture by itself is resistant to 60% of the leaktests. I have tested this setup with *the previous set of Matousec) and it would score a very good rating.

Af for browsers, I have developed a preference for Chrome (or rather Chromium) for daily browsing, see posts in services & provacy part of Arup. Stanford University has tested Chrome in its early days, the hacker contest prooved some effectiveness of Chromiums internal sandbox. For compatibility reasons we use IE8 for banking and on line shopping (with Keyscrambler and BrowserDefender).

Regards Kees

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  6. Trailblazerman

Thanks for your recommendation, G1111. I find it to be very clever compared to other solutions.

Excellent suggestions, Kees. I, too, am a Chrome user, but don't trust it for banking/shopping chores. The keyscrambler is something I wasn't aware of and am looking into it as I type. The browser defender will be an addition to my security toolbox for IE for sure.

Thanks for your replies!

7. lost24

lost24 Registered Member

Same, and I recommend it :)

8. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Great Deal!!:thumb: Great Firewall!!:thumb:
    How Can You Go Wrong? :thumb:

9. Trailblazerman

Thanks guys...that's exactly what I was looking for! The happy users with lifetime licenses. No kidding, how can I go wrong? It's a done deal. Thanks again.

10. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

I have Outpost Life Time and had been using it since 2005 (now on version 2009...before I think it was version 2.1 or something like that).

This December I got another Lifetime but now the Suite with the AV, I set the AV to act as ONDEMAND only since it's not as good as normal, so it's a nice backup scanner when need to be.

Been with lifetime since 2005, got free "lifetime upgrades" over those years without a hassle and re-installed Outpost through new upgraded systems at least 10 times, still no issue.

11. Trailblazerman

I purchased it! Thanks for all your help guys!

12. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

You wont be dis-appointed and welcome to the family!!
    :thumb:

13. ASM

ASM Registered Member

We are sure U will be a happy user... their forum users are helpful.

Happy user since v2.5. I own their Lifetime Pro and Security Suite... no regret.

14. Trailblazerman

Thanks GiddyUp and ASM. I'm really pleased with the ad blocking feature as well. I didn't really buy it for that so I consider it icing on the cake. Cake is good with icing. :)

15. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Yes and lets not forget
    "you can have your cake and eat it to!!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.