Woe is me - first time using TI in anger!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bodgy, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

First some background detail - in case my hypothesis is incorrect!

My A/V software found a worm lurking on my system. After removal, wow/ and windows Installer failed to work!

Attempted a Windows recovery install, but it would not give me the recovery option due to OSS having thrown a wobbly and 'ahem' buggered up my first drives partition table - 250 gig drive reported as 3 partitions of 850 gig each o_O

Bunged in my BartPE CD and cranked up the backup drive - first problem the second hard drive was not in the list of drives to restore to as TI had decided that there wasn't enough space on it. My first surprise, as it will rewrite sector by sector with an image, why did it take notice of a corrupted partition table? Unless it reads the boot sector which does hold the drive size in order to ascertain drive capacity.

Having fought with that, finally managed to get the OS onto drive 2 (where it normally resides) - rebooted - first thing OSS wouldn't let the restored drive boot - much swearing - we get a boot - second MAJOR PROBLEM! This is a GOTCHA so ---, If you have your schedules set up to run automatically if they were missed due to the system being switched off. They will of course RUN when your backup image is restored. First rule DISCONNECT YOUR BACK UP DRIVE BEFORE rebooting the system.

Problem #3 - TI managed to delete the last full image, but did not use the correct number sequence for the new image it made - TI reported this as an orphan image and therefore it could not be mounted or restored - a useless image and of course - it had wiped out the previous full image.

Example: The image was called desktop-C_mainset1 TI delted this and renamed it desktop-C_mainset11, which broke the chain of increments from mainset1.

So I suggest not having the 'run if last schedule missed' ticked and run it manually should you have missed a schedule.

Whether this could be got around by TI checking the date of the file and comparing it with the current date I'm not sure. As TI doesn't have a calendar built in to it, this problem also manifests itself if you have fortnightly schedules and you mistakenly set them up together in the same week. It isn't a bug, but perhaps a flaw in logic thinking by the programmers.

As for OSS - go to the Disk Director page for my comments on OSS.

TI 9.3856.

Colin

PS, I'll write that diatribe tomorrow o_O

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Last night I finally got my system back up and running properly.

Just a note it wasn't TI that was causing the problem (wrong drive letters assigned, causing TI to try and write over itself on any partition it chose), but OSS.

I've finally managed to uninstall OSS and the system (touch wood) is now running.

Also DD10 would never allow the option of changing drive letters, whilst OSS was misbehaving nor would XP install CD's (I have two of them) recognise the correct boot OS and therefore would never allow me to perform a 'Recovery' install.

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.