With James Comey Out at the FBI, American Privacy Could Take a Hammering

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, May 11, 2017.

1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. hawki

hawki Registered Member

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I would hate the weight of the Presidency on my chest. Anyone that can't understand the trade off between keeping citizens safe and also preserving their privacy has never visualized sitting in the oval office. You guys pretty much know where I stand, but I also can admit I am not positive I know what I would do given control over the choices the Gov makes. I/we don't see the security briefings. On the other hand I hate the lets just listen to everything and you can trust us not to go over the line, right!

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Yes, that's likely.

More generally, these are crazy times. The US is heading for major drama. It's hard to keep all the conspiracy theories straight. Politics are off-topic here, of course. But yes, it's not hard to imagine now that strong encryption will become illegal. It'll be interesting to see what happens with that Freenet user in Philadelphia, who's been rotting in jail for refusing to provide his decryption key. And what about VPNs and Tor? I'm glad that I'm where I am :)

5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Me too, but sadly in this respect I'm still in a "Five Eyes" country.

6. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

As a benighted non-US citizen, I don't expect it to make any difference, and I think the figureheads are not making the running, they only influence the privacy climate slightly. Regarding things like encryption, there's been a worrying trend amounting to collusion between the security services in different countries, to ratchet up the assault on encryption and privacy, translating that into national laws, whilst offering no credible evidence that mass surveillance has been worth the cost, and at the same time, increasing their power.

Translating that prevailing climate into what-to-do about privacy has me focused on avoiding the perils of false positives, the risks for which have risen, and where the significant costs are borne by the innocent with no effective redress and supine judiciary.

7. guest

guest Guest

Comey used personal Gmail while FBI director, says federal watchdog
    But his Gmails!
    June 14, 2018

https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/14/comey-used-personal-gmail-while-fbi-director-says-federal-watch/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.