Wise to defrag archives?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by mrfargoreed, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Is it safe to defrag my FDISR archives? I have two hard drives - C drive for operating system and D for my data. All archives are stored on the Data drive.

I've noticed that when running defrag prgrams like PerfectDisk, O & O and Ultimate Defrag that everything seems to run fine until I the archives are defragged. Once the defrag programs start work on the archives, the system seems to lock up/come to a halt.

Is it normal practise to defrag FDISR archives?

Also, when I analyze my disks with PD, the fragmentation is usually very low - under 2-3%, yet O & O and UD show a much higher level of fragmentation (?) - 60-70%! Again, is it normal or is PD not checking correctly within FDISR?

Many thanks

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't bother defragging the drives my archives are on. First they are huge, and reside with images which are huge. The archives are fragmented, because the are compressed, I was told windows does that. If you want to defrag the rest of the drive exclude them.

Pete

3. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

I have always defragmented my archives, although that is more the result of not being able to exclude them since I only use the in built windows defrag and it doesn't have an option to exclude. Doesn't seem to have done any harm......yet.....But I think if I had the choice I'd leave them alone, I don't think there's anything to be gained and possibly a lot to lose, so not a good risk / reward senario.

4. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Like you, Peter2150, my archives are on another drive with larger files and defragging takes hours, but the drive looks a mess as the archives are, as you say, heavily fragmented.

From now on I will exclude them.

Thanks for clearing this up guys :thumb:

5. sunrise

sunrise Registered Member

So if someone keeps archives in e.g. D drive, it is better not to defrag the D drive right? or choose the defrag program not to defrag the archive specifically. is that right?

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Right.
    If your D-drive contains other files than .arx, then you better exclude .arx-files in your defragger.
    If your D-drive contains nothing but .arx-files, I wouldn't defrag the D-drive.
    I don't defrag my external harddisk either, because it contains nothing but backups : .arx-files (FDISR) + .spf-files (ShadowProtect).

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

After awhile i delete my daily workarchive(snapshot) and create a new one, and yes defrag. archive take hours ,better yet to create anew in much shorter time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.