Wireless unsecured -grants free internet

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Dark Shadow, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Just for curosity sake,I wanted to see if any unsecured wireless signals are floating around,Geeze what a suprise,that I found three unsecured.Now the signal at best is fair and two are poor,Eitherway I can connect to all three and the fair signal being the best of them.A thought occured to me with folks giving free access because the lack of knowledge or just not sure how to secure there wireless connections and broacasting it,whats stopping any one from using others internet access and never paying for internet again.I am not saying I would do this but common with economic times theses days lets face it how many wouldn't use it.Hey even people that aren't feeling the hard times probably would use it because its free.The problem here that He/she doesn't know as of yet that there headed for problems its a matter of time before the inevitable happens to the generous persons granting the general public access.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I was surprised when I bought my first wireless router not too long ago. None of the signals I could pick up were unsecured. Well only 2 or 3 and that was a public access pay per use company. Now where my sister lives, all of the networks were unsecured. One of the people even had there name as the SSID. My sister asked if she should cancel her internet service and use theirs and I said no way.

Some people just don't know or don't care. The thing is, the owner of the home network would be liable if any crimes were committed on their network. When I was setting up my sisters system, she was getting frustrated at the length of the passwords I used. In all honesty, they weren't that long but should work fine.

3. Cretemonster

Cretemonster Registered Member

Actually you just confessed in writing to theft by taking or grand theft, depending on your state laws.

This is viewed no different than some poor smuck leaving his keys in his car.

Take the car and its still Auto Theft.

It is however amazing the amount of people who leave the wireless enabled with no password tho. :(

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

people dont understand that an unsecured wireless network is like leaving your front door open.
    even if they read the instuctions they think its to complicated so leave it as it is because "it works"

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I confesed to nothing Read my post again.I can connect to them but wouldn't do this.I don't not do illegal things I have to much loose such as My Family and MY CCW license.The whole point is the security aspect like the poor sole that left the keys in the car running with the doors unlocked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.