Wireless security impact download speed?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Iangh, May 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Anybody seen anything that discusses the speed impact of the different wireless security: WPA, WPA2, AES, TKIP?

I have a 1.5Ghz, Celeron M 340 processor.

What's the impact on download speed?

Ian

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Boy... seems like I remember that AES and WPA2 do take a bit of extra processor horsepower to run but I can't remember where I read it. If I am remembering right, I don't believe they would slow down the connection per se but they might slow your PC's ability to render the pages at the same speed as the other 2.

If I see something, I'll post back. :)

3. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

WPA-AES or WPA2 (which uses AES), will be the fastest ones you can get since the encryption is done on the hardware. The impact on download speed in negligible, seeing as though the speed of 802.11g is 54 mbps which is well over what your connection is, it will reduce it by a little (actually, my wireless computer downloads faster than my wired one which is a bit strange, but maybe its because it runs BSD :D )

So, don't worry about speed degregation, because it is little if any.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

4. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

I had WEP working, and having donwloaded dd-wrt(sp2) and the necessary Microsoft update I now have WPA2 working.

Both recorded 12-13Mbps on speedtests, so no impact but a lot more security:)

Ian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.