Wireless Security and 2Wire Firewalls

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Mike6080919395, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike6080919395

Mike6080919395 Registered Member

I have just finished setting up my wireless network which has

The main desktop hardwired to it thru a cat5-e cable
    The laptop uses its own built in access card

I set the network to use the following WPA2-PSK
    Created a custom pass phrase and checked it against microsoft password Checker where it achieved 7 bars which microsoft says is "strong encryption".
    Disabled SSID broadcasting
    Switched over to Channel 6
    Enabled mac id filtering
    Disable remote access on both computers
    changed the power broadcast level to 3

My DSL came with a 2wire modem 2701HG-B, but I am not sure how secure it is. Since I am unsure of this routers security level for the hardwired desktop I installed comodo and nod32. I am however still wondering if comodo is really needed with this 2 wire router.

How do I properly setup this 2wire fw for max security on the hardwired desktop?

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    It's a typical NAT router..much like any linksys/netgear/dlink, etc. By default you're protected from all untrusted incoming traffic, your PC is totally hidden from the internet behind a brick wall. That's what's important.

Disabling SSID isn't a security measure, it may keep the 90 year old lady next door from accidently stumbling on your network..which she can't get into because it's secured anyways. But the little booger picking wanna be hacker kid next door...he'll be using any of those plentiful wireless sniffing tools which will pick up your SSID anyways even if you think it's hidden. And some wireless NICs don't latch on well with hidden SSIDs.

MAC filtering is easily bypassed by that booger picking kid too if he's determined.

You have WPA2 enabled..you're good.

The 2Wires make you select a password when you set them up, so there's no default password to forget to change, so you're good there. All set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.