Wireless Router Suggestions

Discussion in 'hardware' started by whitedragon551, Nov 26, 2016.

1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Looking for a new wireless router as my old one is dropping connections and is about 3 years old. I currently use the Linksys EA6200 with my Motorola Surfboard SB6141 modem.

I do require AC as the majority of my devices use wireless AC.

I am looking at the Linksys EA8500. Any other suggestions for or against this device?

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

It seems like a decent product but I would read the review here to see if the shortfalls affect you.

Also, do some careful research as the prices seem to vary greatly and often. I note it appears Newegg offered this not too long ago for $130 and now wants $212.

Finally, make sure it is your router dropping connections and not the internet connection itself. For the record, I also use the SB6141 and I thought it was giving me problems. I contacted my ISP to verify and they "reauthenticated" the modem and all has been good since.

3. whitedragon551

I picked one up for $129 on Newegg. It shot up to $212, but then dropped again for Cyber Monday deals.

Its definitely the router dropping wireless connections. I have 2 hardwired devices that dont drop, but all (cell phones, 3 tablets, 2 laptops) wireless devices do.

4. Bill_Bright

Then that points to the WAP (wireless access point) integrated into the wireless router. But do note many things cause wireless connection problems to include range, number and materials used barriers (walls, floors, ceilings) the contents of those barriers (wires and metal pipes), nearby electronics and more.

Let us know what you think of this router once you've used it a bit.

5. Alec

Alec Registered Member

I use the Linksys EA8500 at home, and it has worked well for me. I had to replace my prior wireless router due to its limited range and increasing interference due to the 2.4 GHz wireless density in my urban setting. (I can detect 17 SSID's, including my own, in the 2.4 GHz band with a WIFI scanning utility, most with a SNR less than 20 but all still adding to the overall background noise in my home.) It has been a solid choice for me at least. It has solved most of my problems, although admittedly I generally have migrated everything that I could to the 5 GHz band after purchasing the EA8500 (as there are only 3 SSIDs in this band, including my own, and none of them are overlapping). It has also been a solid performer from a stability and reliability standpoint. I don't have to do a weekly or monthly power-cycle to restore Internet service as some consumer products seem to require. Range in the 5 GHz band is decent as well, as I get a usable signal at around 50 - 70 feet through multiple walls and between floors in my 2 story home. (That's not necessarily an outer bound limit, it's just where my home office computer happens to be in relation to the router.)

6. Bill_Bright

This is not an uncommon problem. If you live in a large apartment complex, there could be dozens of wifi networks in your area. You typically don't need a new router, however. The problem is more likely a crowded "channel". So before replacing your WAP (wireless access point - often integrated into "wireless" routers), try changing channels first. Use a program like XIRRUS WiFi Inspector to view the wireless networks in your area and note the channels used. Then enter your WAP's or wireless router's admin menu and change the channel your wifi network is using to an unused channel, or a channel with the weakest signal strength of the other area networks if all are being used (very unlikely).

7. whitedragon551

So far so good. I get a solid 130Mb connection on the second floor, opposite corner of the house as the wireless router. Network speeds to the NAS are faster, wireless speed tests are also faster.

8. Bill_Bright

Glad it is working out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.