Wireless network became unsecure for a second?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by YourNameHere, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YourNameHere

YourNameHere Registered Member

I'm connected to a wireless network with WPA2 set up. As I was browsing I noticed the network monitor in the desktop tray popped up with the connection status. It showed the connection as unsecure. I clicked to view wireless networks and it showed I was connected to a secure connection with WPA2. What gives?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

if it happens again, take and post a screenshot. It could have temporarily connected to another wireless unsecured network.

3. YourNameHere

YourNameHere Registered Member

Happened again this morning, but I was in a rush so I was unable to get a screenshot. I've googled it and found it's not an uncommon problem. Though no one really has a solution - most agree it's probably just a bug on windows end. These posts are a few years ago though, so I thought maybe there would be more information.

The problem only began when I switched to WPA2. I do not believe I'm connecting to someone else's network as it has my network's name. Only my network can be found under Preferred Networks. Whenever I start my computer, the balloon pops up showing I'm connected and everything is fine. The unsecured balloon pop up just sort of happens randomly later in the day. But when I X out the balloon and hover my mouse over it again - it shows everything is fine.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14086394

the above link is from someone else having the same problem with WPA. It has a couple screenshots. Though it's over their network with their unique SSID, it looks exactly the same for me (Only with WPA2).

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r17725520-Using-WPA-sometimes-says-connected-unsecured

another example.

Any reason I should be concerned?

4. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

You may want to look into rogue AP's that can force you to connect to it.
    HostAP
    Your wireless NIC is acting like an ethernet hub/switch and is susceptible to attack.

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I don't see where it is stated so I will assume. Windows XP? If so I wouldn't worry about it too much, wireless on XP does such things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.