Wireless network became unsecure for a second?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by YourNameHere, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YourNameHere

YourNameHere Registered Member

I'm connected to a wireless network with WPA2 set up. As I was browsing I noticed the network monitor in the desktop tray popped up with the connection status. It showed the connection as unsecure. I clicked to view wireless networks and it showed I was connected to a secure connection with WPA2. What gives?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

if it happens again, take and post a screenshot. It could have temporarily connected to another wireless unsecured network.

3. YourNameHere

YourNameHere Registered Member

Happened again this morning, but I was in a rush so I was unable to get a screenshot. I've googled it and found it's not an uncommon problem. Though no one really has a solution - most agree it's probably just a bug on windows end. These posts are a few years ago though, so I thought maybe there would be more information.

The problem only began when I switched to WPA2. I do not believe I'm connecting to someone else's network as it has my network's name. Only my network can be found under Preferred Networks. Whenever I start my computer, the balloon pops up showing I'm connected and everything is fine. The unsecured balloon pop up just sort of happens randomly later in the day. But when I X out the balloon and hover my mouse over it again - it shows everything is fine.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14086394

the above link is from someone else having the same problem with WPA. It has a couple screenshots. Though it's over their network with their unique SSID, it looks exactly the same for me (Only with WPA2).

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r17725520-Using-WPA-sometimes-says-connected-unsecured

another example.

Any reason I should be concerned?

4. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

You may want to look into rogue AP's that can force you to connect to it.
    HostAP
    Your wireless NIC is acting like an ethernet hub/switch and is susceptible to attack.

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I don't see where it is stated so I will assume. Windows XP? If so I wouldn't worry about it too much, wireless on XP does such things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.