Wireless internet connection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by timbo, Feb 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timbo

timbo Registered Member

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this thread so if it isn't please advise me where I can get some help!!

I have 2 laptops (one of which stays on a desk)which I would like to be able to access the internet using a wireless connection. Both are "wireless ready" and I have a Belkin ADSL modem with wireless-G router.

The problem I've encountered is that I can't get my main laptop to recognise the belkin modem when plugged into the ethernet port. The light on the back of the laptop and the ethernet port light on the modem light up but that's as far as it gets.

Can any one help as to how I can set up the laptop to use the Belkin modem using the ethernet port??

I really am useless with computers and any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Do you want to get up and running with ethernet connection, wireless connections, or both?

The first thing to do would be to get one of the laptops working on a cable connection so that you can then configure the router to do exactly what you want.

Plug your main laptop into the router, such that the indicators light up, and then reboot your laptop. That ought to get your laptop talking to the router so that you can use your broadband connection via the router once it's configured. You may have to go into the internet connection settings on your laptop (IE | Tools | Internet Options | Connections) to make sure that your ethernet connection is used rather than a dial-up one, but it all ought to work fairly painlessly.

Wireless isn't much more difficult, although you may need to log on to the router's admin console with a browser to enable the wireless features and also to set up some form of wireless security, such as WEP or better still, WPA.

But first of all, can you access the internet using your main laptop via a cable connection? Once you have connectivity between the laptop and router, you'll need to configure the ADSL modem with the correct details as provided by your ISP to log on to your ADSL connection.

3. timbo

timbo Registered Member

Thanks for the help. I think I'd like wireless connections for both laptops. I've tried to get the laptop talking to the router. The problem is that the 'internet LED' indicator isn't lighting up. On the modem the indicators for LAN status, the ADSL and the power are all ok.

I currently use a different ADSL router that is plugged into the USB port and all is fine. How do I set up the laptop to use the ethernet port instead of the USB?

Thanks...

4. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

It sounds to me like you haven't set the router up with your ADSL login ID and password, plus other required ADSL settings.

Before I try to reinvent the wheel, have you looked at the Belkin online guides? They are pretty good and should lead you through most of the setup quite painlessly. Take a look at:

http://www.belkin.com/support/download.asp?download=F5D7630uk4A&lang=1&mode=

since you have a working internet connection via your USB device.

To make the laptop use your ethernet connection, look in Control Panel | Network Connections and ensure that you have an ethernet network connection in there and that it's not disabled.

Then go into Internet Explorer's Tools | Internet Options and select the Connection tab. Select the "Never dial a connection" line to force your laptop to use the ethernet (or LAN) connection.

Once you are up and running with a cable connection, you'll need to get your wireless stuff set up and working. See if the Belkin guides I pointed you to are sufficient. If not, feel free to ask again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.