Wireless Distance Hopes

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Eliot, Nov 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eliot

Eliot Registered Member

My brother and I live about 80-100 feet apart. Is it possible for a wireless router to get a signal worth having over there. We are not looking for much over 6Mb that the ISP provides. We are in two seperate buildings, although we both have a window right near our 'puters. The windows are not far from facing one another either. Again, I could care less about full speed, just plenty for some gamging and off site storage.

Can I please get some responses with people that have tried ideas near to this?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

My router is about 120 feet from two other comps and they both receive an 92%signal with 90% quality so you shouldn't have any problems;) of course this also depends on the brand of router you use also my experience is with Linksys

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  3. Eliot

Eliot Registered Member

bigc.....YOU ARE THE KING FOR THE DAY BUDDY. I need just a tad more help from you since you teased me(lol, pokin fun ;) ) so.........What Linksys model do you have? What card brand (wireless) for a desktop? Is there a "booster" type device for the other side to help the signal(ie, 2nd base, etc)? I am going to run me a long wire to the router from my pc and place the router on a windows shelf about 6 ft in the air. From the router window, the destination pc is directly west about 80 feet, then back about 6 paces. There is no direct line between the two windows. Also, there is a gas station between our apartments. Lots of cars pass by every day(200-300 min.). I want to be able to have this work so badly since its my brother and we love to compete on LAN games.

If there is a way to find out if the range will work without wasting a wireless NIC, can someone please tell me? I am 99% sure on the wireless part, just not anytime soon, unless this little shot in the dark can work. :D

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running a Linksys wireless-B 2.4 gig Befw11s4 and the wireless cards are Linksys WMP11
    the advertised distance is with an unubstructed line 300 feet. I have had mine as far as 180 feet with an 88% signal 80% quality. I am going theough four walls right now, at 120 feet there is almost no signal degradation at all through four walls.

http://www.dipol.com.pl/pict/n2631+.jpg

http://www.fortune3.com/~comp67684/91335440.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  5. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Further to the good advice that bigc73542 gave you, i might also think about fitting a High Gain Directional Antenna for Wireless Networks to both of them.

StevieO

6. Eliot

Eliot Registered Member

I'll check around and see if I can find one of those. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.