Wireless connectivity on Thinkpad T61

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

This article should probably interest you: it's about a long and tricky investigation into Wireless connectivity problems on my Thinkpad T61 due to intermitten hardware problems. Very worth reading, especially if you've encountered strange, functionality issues with the Wireless adapters on your laptops. It's a lesson in Linux and problem solving.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/wireless-t61.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Not sure wether to laugh or cry about the problem being in the HW. :rolleyes:
    V.Nice post and article there: observation of inconsistencies: hypothesis: testing: persistence = results.

With such sophisticated devices we all have: If it looks like a duck, waddles and quacks: it might be the goose :blink:
    Which shell is that electron in ? Probability theory will catch us all in the end.
    LOL. :D
    This might point to the need for some professional help ??
    New addition to the DSM: "software grudge syndrome" , "relenteless geek disease" :D

Tricky isnt it: if six experts cant find the 'thing', then it prolly simply aint there.

HW issues are a nightmare to find, categorise, and fix: never mind the potential for software glitches , the number of places the HW can fail is "legion" as in biblical: thats the feel i get from my stuff sometimes: it's watching me and figuring out "what can I do today to brighten his life". :D
    Very hard sometimes to remember it's just an inert collection of electronics; not actually possesed by a demon. ;)

Sometimes have to go right back to the start resetting the LAN etc etc etc
    Is it he switch..the router..the HD connections..the cable ..the connection...the mb.... me ??
    Amazing reliable complexity in our computer HW really: take for granted now: wafer nano lasers SSD multicore chips of incredible capacity etc..so we can watch you tube o_O heh heh

AS Blue pointed out recently; the most likely disaster scenario is in fact a HW failure ie HD. Yet considering the complexity, things rarely go wrong on the home scale: multiply that complexity by factors for enterprise scale and things might get interesting :eek: but realistically we rarely encounter HW issues in day to day use and are likely to trash the HW b4 it actually blows out or in the event of any 'issues' tradh it and get a new one; too hard to try and figure it out !!
    I am always amazed at the pure resilience of older boxes firing up and functioning so well...I digress...

Kudos for Mrk for persistence and recognition of problem, then being humble enough and willing to track it down: nice read:
    ( just hope I dont get stuck with similar issue !!)
    and nice to see resolution of puzzling issue wrt wireless and those distros.

Hope Lenovo reads that post and hope that your readers are turning there too.
    :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I loved the software grudge syndrome thingie ... professional help, yes please!
    Mrk

4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Glad you asked: fortunately; I am a fully qualified professional.
    Send $$XXXX: I'll meet you here for therapy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.