wireless 802.1x using RADIUS/IAS

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hotshotjosh, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotshotjosh

hotshotjosh Guest

hey i'm new here!
    [not sure if this is the right place for this question] :?
    ok, i'm going to give this a shot. basically i'm an intern to a Network Administrator, and my boss gave me the assignment of "getting the wireless network up and secure". some employees want to bring in their laptops and connect, so my boss wants me to use 802.1x authentication with a RADIUS server so that only employees with a username/password can access the wireless signal. I've gone thru some online walkthru's on setting up 802.1x authentication, but as of now, it still doesn't work.

I'm using a Cisco 1100 series Access Point with a direct connection to the Ethernet wall jack. I've set up an IP address for the AP, and set up an SSID and configured the access point to communicate with a RADIUS server that I have running. btw, I'm using Windows Server 2003 via Virtual Machine, and i have Windows' built-in RADIUS server: Internet Authentication Service (IAS) running.

Have I lost you yet? basically, when I configure the AP to use no encryption, my laptop can pick up the signal and connect/browse the internet and company network fine. when i use WEP encryption on the AP and laptop, the laptop has no problems connecting to the internet and network. when I configure the AP to point to my RADIUS server (which is up and running) the laptop connects to the AP and then asks for a username/password/domain ("Enter Your Credentials"). This is exactly what I want to happen, BUT for some reason, when I enter any username, it won't authenticate. I have added groups and users with permissions to use the wireless, but none of them can connect. I've been at this for about a week, and I'm open to any suggestions that you guys can offer.

Not sure how clear that was, so lemme know if you need any clarification.
    Thanks!

ps: i'll be gone for about a week, so don't expect any replies from me till then!

2. hotshotjosh

hotshotjosh Guest

bump!

i still have the problem

3. hotshotjosh

hotshotjosh Guest

is this post hidden or what?! if you can read this, please respond

4. meneer

meneer Registered Member

We can read this :) We just can´t seem to answer yet. Just let us think about it...

hello, any experts here ?

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Hotshotjosh

You might do better by googling for network forums and ask there.

Pete

6. hotshotjosh

hotshotjosh Guest

lol

lol, that's exactly what i did when i stumbled upon this site (i searched google for the problem) ahh, don't worry about it guys I'll figure it out myself

thanks for at least responding so i didn't feel like I was shouting in an empty room!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.