Wiping your drives COMPLETELY

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Overkill, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Is it completely safe for a hdd to be wiped every so often and I mean including the HPA?

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I don't know, personally. I've never tried to put a drive back in use, after wiping with BCWipe Total Wipeout...which does DCO and HPA. Care to try it for us? :D

PD

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

When I was testing AX64, I used diskwipe to erase a c: drive. Diskwipe first formats the drive and then overwrites it at diffierent levels. I let it just write zero's. It left the disk totally useless.

I then restored with AX64 from the recovery CD and it was fine.

All this was done in a virtual machine.

Pete

4. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Yeah, but the DCO and HPA aren't accessible by normal wiping software. We're wondering if wiping those areas basically makes the drive unsuitable for further use. I guess an email to Jetico would get the answer.

PD

5. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

id rather go with something opensource , anything new in that area as of recent? , dont really trust bcwipes custom algorithms , heard rumours here and there

6. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I have some old hdd's that I don't care about so I may try it lol

Can someone refresh my memory, what other software can wipe the HPA of hdd's?

7. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Erasing a HPA and resetting the DCO to factory defaults will not render a hdd useless, in my (anecdotal) experience.
    With a linux liveCD and 'hdparm' commands, you can do all that. You can remove or create a HPA at your wish.
    (Mind you, with specific hdparm commands you can totally wreck a drive, specifically it's firmware but that requires being careless or of course intent).
    From my own experience, a HPA usually hosts system restore data so removing it will make sure that you can't restore that way anymore.
    Resetting the DCO will make all data on disk unreadable (for an OS) but that's the goal anyway in this case.

So imo, removing the HPA is like a complete reformat and resetting the DCO, not actually wiping it, makes the disc factory fresh.
    Not sure if a hdd will work if you actually wipe the DCO instead of just resetting it.

8. I've used Total Wipe Out with erase DCO & HPA enabled and re-used the drive. Checked the drive and there was no trace of anything after so as far as I'm concerned Total Wipe Out is a solid product.

Off course always disconnect your ethernet/wireless before wiping just in case.

Now their BCwipe product is questionable I think, I woke up one morning and the wiping scheme had changed. I don't know how but it did change. I think the fact that BCwipe tries to connect to the internet for updates concern's me. Maybe a simple way for a backdoor to be put on your PC, you never know. They say they are certified by the USA Military for use, which means they would have to adhere to the NSA will and demands for backdoor access. This is why I don't think BestCrypt can be trusted either.

Summing up Total Wipe Out looks like it's 100% the rest of Jetico's software has question marks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.