wiping free space vs wiping whole disk

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wutsup, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

hey wilders,

im just wondering is there any big difference between DBANing a harddrive and using Ccleaner's wipe free space other than of course dban wipes everything and ccleaner only wipes the free space.

would they both accomplish overwriting the "deleted" files in that hard drive? (lets say that both hard drives have no files or anything in them)

2. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

anyone?

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

dban would wipe the whole drive while ccleaner only free space. Both useful depending the aim

4. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Hey There wutsup

How's Threatfire treatin ya??

It's my understanding that ccleaner doesn't do a very good job "wiping" files so i would look in another direction ;)

Here are 3 freebies:

Eraser - http://sourceforge.net/projects/eraser/ I've used it but is buggy on my system. Many settings.

Freeaser - http://www.codyssey.com/ Works fine but not as fast as File Shredder. Settings are 1, 3 and gutman 35 pass.

File Shredder - http://www.fileshredder.org/ This one works great and like how it renames the file on the last pass. Multiple settings.

5. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

how do you know that ccleaner's wipe free space option isnt as good as the other programs you listed? explain please

doesnt ccleaner's wipe free space overwrite the "deleted files" like DBAN?

6. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Just download some undelete/file recovery tools - wipe your drive/partition with ccleaner and then see if you find anything recoverable. You want wipe tools that also eliminate file names as well.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  7. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

oh so youve tested it out yourself?

8. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

No i haven't which is why i suggested you give it a test if you wish to continue using it. Let us know your findings ok!

9. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I read a test once, where they let CCleaner wipe the free space with triple overwrite. Once CCleaner was done, they could still recover a lot of files.
    Also from my own experience, I tried 1, 3, 7, and 35 times overwriting and they all took about the same amount of time, that alone should be proof that it's not working correctly.

10. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Here is an example of File Shredder wiping the filename, renaming and wiping again on the last pass. As you see, the file name "Rain" was changed to a bunch of numbers before final wiping. I only noticed this because the wiping cannot complete until my GOM player is shutdown and releases the video file. This is my understanding how it works anyways!

Another freebie here that runs portable - http://portableapps.com/news/2009-10-13_-_eraserdrop_portable_2.1

Attached Files:

• FS1.jpg
      FS1.jpg
      File size:
      53.7 KB
      Views:
    • FS2.jpg
      FS2.jpg
      File size:
      86.8 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.