WinXP update KB960715 causing major problems

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by axial, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axial

    axial Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    Posts:
    477
    One of our computers has been at 100% CPU usage for hours (6+) with this specific Windows update.

    Rebooting (several times) doesn't help, it just starts the update again.

    As a temporary measure in task manager I've killed the offending svchost; can anyone suggest a way to permanently block the update from continuing?

    btw, surfing for answers I read that this update also apparently causes major problems with msflxgrd.ocx in MSAccess.

    Thanks.

    WinXP, SP3, NOD32 (with the latest updates), SAS, MBAM.
     
  2. JRViejo

    JRViejo Global Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Posts:
    20,956
    Location:
    U.S.A.
  3. axial

    axial Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    Posts:
    477
    Thanks, JRViejo. I did a support call with MS (my least favorite thing to do) and the only step they did was set IE as the default and enable the "advanced" IE features, then reboot and checked in the Windows update history that the update was marked as finished. As I mentioned, this update had been running for hours, by this time, through 3 or 4 reboots, with the system running at 100% CPU the whole time.

    Coincidentally (to my way of thinking) the update finally finished once IE was set as the default and all of the "advanced" features enabled.

    This had the effect of knocking out some FF settings but so far it seems they were easily restored.

    I hate to sound so suspicious, but it seems too much of a coincidence that having IE set as the default browser just happened at the same time as the update finished, but of course there's no way to diagnose a cause/effect after the fact.

    Curiously, however, taskman was still showing the CPU at 100% usage, but MS tech support wanted to mark the case as closed (because I had called in with the problem of the update not finishing). So even though I had mentioned the 100% CPU usage when I described the problem, he only focused on the update not completing for the reason for this service call and he would not look at it.

    Running Process Explorer from Sysinternals reveals that the 100% was being caused by an HP network monitor service, hpslpsvc32.dll, so I killed that and the CPU is back to normal.

    Sort of a perfect storm of events, I guess. Now on to getting the HP service killed for good.

    Thx for reading.
     
  4. JRViejo

    JRViejo Global Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Posts:
    20,956
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    axial, you're welcome! Glad to hear that your PC is back to normal.

    Yes of course, the dreaded IE default browser syndrome. I can tell you that every time I update MS Office 2003, it changes my OE default to Outlook, and although MS won't admit it, they do change things behind the scenes.

    HP... that's another winner. Buy a printer and the onslaught of features that are installed & running are mind boggling! I used Autoruns, Logon tab, to get rid of all HP starting applications.
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.